ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eoi-new-gtlds]

Personal Comments on the EOI process

  • To: eoi-new-gtlds@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Personal Comments on the EOI process
  • From: fred krueger <frkrueger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 18:57:06 -0800

I am making this comment solely in a personal capacity, as someone who has,
over the last two years invested significant time and resources to the gTLD
process in general.

I won’t repeat the general arguments in favor of EOIs. But I would like to
respond to the few objections that I have seen so far in this forum, and
privately.

Several parties have argued that we cannot have EOIs unless the DAG is
finalized. As the comments on this forum indicate however, this is a risk that
the applicant community is generally willing to take. As Werner Staub puts it
“it’s a manageable risk”.

While I certainly would prefer the DAG to be finalized, I (and most other
applicants) now see the handbook as largely complete. In fact, apart from some
discussion on vertical separation and GPML, the public comments to DAG3 have
dwindled in number and substance. I just don’t buy the argument that serious
applicants would not pay the proposed EOI fee because of fears of vast changes
in the DAG

The second argument against EOIs is that somehow it places “implicit liability”
on ICANN to officially green light the gTLD process. This is a deceptive
argument, made by groups that systematically oppose new gTLDs. My comment here
is simply that as long as the terms and conditions of the EOI process are well
defined, and there is a defined timeline for a refund of the money in the case
the gTLD process is dropped, no such liability exists.

ICANN is now at a crossroads. For the last 18 months, it has encouraged
entrepreneurs such as myself, cities such as New York and Paris, and even
brands to spend significant amounts of time and money on the premise that gTLDs
were coming in 2010.  This process cannot simply be stopped by invoking
"overarching issues" and the AOC.

With EOIs there is a clear and simple way to move forward. Properly done, the
EOI process in no way commits ICANN to the proposed gTLD rollout. What it does
is clarify the landscape in a public and actionable way. Let's get the data out
there, in the open, and use this data to define a path forward. We don't need
to over-complicate this process. We need real data.

Fred Krueger