ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[eudrp]

Comments of the Internet Commerce Association

  • To: "eudrp@xxxxxxxxx" <eudrp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments of the Internet Commerce Association
  • From: Phil Corwin <pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:18:50 -0400

The comments of the Internet Commerce Association are below and attached.
Please make the attached version publicly available so that full formatting and
emphasis is retained. Thank you.

BUTERA & ANDREWS
Attorneys at Law
1301 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20004-1701
202-347-6875
Philip S. Corwin, Partner
pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx><mailto:pcorwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

By E-Mail to eudrp@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:eudrp@xxxxxxxxx>

               August 12, 2009

Board of Directors
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292-6601

Re: WIPO Proposal for Modification of UDRP Rules to Allow “Paperless” UDRP
Proceedings

Dear Members of the ICANN Board:

This comment letter is submitted by the Internet Commerce Association (ICA) in
regard to ICANN’s July 13th notice establishing a 30 day period for public
comments regarding proposed changes to the implementation rules for the Uniform
Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy (UDRP) to implement the proposal of the
World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to establish a paperless UDRP
proceeding, or “eUDRP”.

ICA is a not-for-profit trade association representing the direct search
industry. Its membership is composed of domain name registrants that invest in
domain names (DNs) and develop the associated websites, as well as the
companies that serve them. Professional domain name registrants are a major
source of the fees that support registrars, registries, and ICANN itself. The
ICA is an International Member of ICANN’s Commercial and Business Constituency
and presently has more than 120 members located in the United States and
thirteen other nations.

Executive Summary

 *   Both professional and general public domain registrants should be able to
readily adapt to an eUDRP.
 *   ICANN should communicate to accredited UDRP providers that they do not
have the authority to make unilateral alterations of key procedural rules.
Likewise, language in the proposed Rules amendment that creates such an
implication should be stricken.
 *   We generally endorse the proposal so long as it includes a strengthened
requirement for fax and postal notice to alert registrants of the complaint’s
filing.
 *   As the proposal does not make changes to the UDRP Rules that alter
substantive rights but involves mere procedure such a change does not require
consideration through a formal Policy Development Process.
 *   We continue to strongly urge ICANN to establish an expedited PDP for UDRP
reform at both incumbent and new gTLDs, and to consider entering into formal
contractual relationships with UDRP providers.

Discussion

Benefits of eUDRP and Registrant Capabilities/Need for Uniform Procedures

As the ICA is made up of professional domain name investors and developers they
are “net savvy”, generally conduct the vast majority of their business
activities online, and would not face any difficulty participating in an eUDRP.
Further, as regards domain registrants among the general public, we believe
that the fact that they have registered at least one domain name, and that
e-mail is the most basic and long-standing means of Internet communication,
indicates that they will be readily able to fully participate in an almost
entirely paperless eUDRP process. As we are in agreement that an eUDRP would
have environmental, efficiency, and timeliness benefits, and given that the
majority of UDRP complainants and respondents already utilize electronic means
for the entirety of their procedural filings, we have no objection to ICANN’s
amendment of the UDRP rules to facilitate or require that all materials related
to a UDRP - other than an initial notice to a registrant that a complaint has
been brought against a particular domain name - be transmitted in electronic
form.

In the event that ICANN should determine that it does not wish to authorize or
require an eUDRP we would strenuously object to unilateral action taken by WIPO
or any other accredited dispute provider to implement such changes on its own.
The prime benefit of having a UDRP is uniformity, and that uniformity should
apply to both its substantive and procedural components. Registrants faced with
a complaint that could result in transfer of a valuable domain should be able
to count on uniform procedures no matter which ICANN-accredited arbitration
provider is selected by the complainant. As procedural rules can have
substantial effect upon a domain registrant’s ability to successfully defend
against a UDRP complaint, it is vital that procedural uniformity be required
and enforced to prevent accredited arbitrators from competing for the filing of
UDRP complaints through unilateral actions that encourage complainant forum
shopping.

We are concerned that the WIPO letter that precipitated this request for public
comment was transmitted on December 30, 2008, and that ICANN delayed issuing
such a request until more than six months had passed. In particular, we note
that on page 5 of that letter WIPO asserts a right to implement such procedural
changes unilaterally, stating:

…should appropriate amendments to the UDRP Rules appear unlikely, WIPO
currently envisages proceeding with a form of targeted “stand alone” amendments
to its own Supplemental Rules to give effect primarily to the objectives
outlined in this letter in the first half of 2009. (Emphasis added.)

While WIPO did not take such unilateral action during the first six months of
this year, ICANN’s delay in raising this issue for public comment could have
resulted in a major UDRP provider adopting procedural changes that could have
attracted additional complaint filings. Other ICANN-accredited arbitrators
might well have followed suit to compete for complainants’ preference, and all
this would have taken place without any formal alteration of ICANN’s own
implementation rules. In fact, the National Arbitration Forum (NAF) indicated
in a January 20, 2009 letter supporting the WIPO proposal that it was
considering amending its own Supplemental Rules if ICANN did not act. Such a
scenario should not be permitted to occur, as it is contrary to the maintenance
of UDRP uniformity and could result in procedural changes prejudicial to
registrants. Further, if individual UDRP providers can make such far reaching
changes it would make a nullity of Section 21 (Amendments) of ICANN’s own UDRP
Rules, which states, “These rules may not be amended without the express
written approval of ICANN.” WIPO made clear that it did not see the need for
such written approval even though the action it contemplated would not have
merely supplemented the ICANN Rules but would have constituted a wholesale
revision of a key procedural requirement.

In this regard we find ourselves in agreement with the views of ICANN’s
Intellectual Property Constituency, which stated in its comment on this matter:

The IPC is of the view that the preferable route forward for paperless UDRPs is
via a change in the UDRP Rules rather than having each provider amend its
Supplemental Rules differently to meet the “hard copy” requirement of the
current UDRP Rules. Were the UDRP Rules not to be changed, we could then find
ourselves with a landscape where each Provider establishes its own Supplemental
Rules for e-filing, leading to an inconsistency in approach.

Given the above considerations, we strongly urge ICANN to take immediate steps
to communicate to UDRP providers that such unilateral alteration of important
procedural rules could result in a loss of accreditation.

The Proposed Amendments to ICANN’s UDRP Implementation Rules

Our review of the proposed amendments to ICANN’s Rules for the UDRP indicates
that they are truly procedural in nature and do not have an impact on the
substantive rights of registrants that would constitute a new policy.
Therefore, we do not believe that the contemplated changes require the
initiation of a Policy Development Process (PDP) – unlike the proposal for
Uniform Rapid Suspension (URS) proposed by the Implementation Recommendation
Team (IRT) for all new gTLDs, which would clearly displace the UDRP in the vast
majority of domain disputes covered by the URS and severely diminish the
substantive rights of registrants.

While we generally endorse the proposed Rule changes, we do note that they
would require e-filings in UDRP cases; that is, they are mandatory, not
permissive, and therefore ICANN’s characterization in its July 13th notice that
these changes would “allow for” an eUDRP is not entirely accurate.

Our endorsement is contingent upon retention of the requirement in Section 2(a)
that registrants receive notice of the complaint to all postal and fax
addresses shown in the WHOIS database as well as those supplied by the relevant
registrar, as well as to all of the e-mail addresses described in that
subsection.

We would further suggest, given that under the proposal registrants would only
receive notice of a complaint rather than all documents relating thereto, that
the ICANN Rules be further amended to require that the fax notice be
accompanied by confirmation of transmission and that the postal notice to the
registrant’s primary physical address have a return receipt requested. These
amendments would help ensure that registrants receive timely notice and
adequate opportunity to review and respond to a complaint.

We object to all additions to the Rules of the words “to the extent permitted
by the Provider”, as well as all new proposed references to “the Provider’s
Supplemental Rules”, as these would sanction the adoption of unilateral rules
changes by different UDRP arbitrators and lead to the very lack of procedural
uniformity that we fear. We therefore urge ICANN to strike all such references
from any Rules changes it adopts.

Notwithstanding our position on this matter, we continue to believe that, as we
rapidly approach the 10th anniversary of the UDRP, ICANN should undertake an
expedited PDP on UDRP reform to address abuses committed by both complainants
and registrants in a balanced manner. Such a process could give afford relief
to trademark interests in disputes involving incumbent gTLDs as well as new
gTLDs - which the proposed URS policy proposal does not - without prejudicing
registrant rights as the URS would do. In this regard, we note than the NAF
letter referenced above indicates that more than 90% of all UDRP complaints
filed with that provider have at least one deficiency that requires correction,
an error rate that is remarkable given that complainants have no time limit on
the preparation of their filing. A PDP for UDRP reform could consider what
steps might reduce the deficiency rates among complainants, just as it could
also deal with the substantial rise in attempted reverse domain hijackings and
the growing lack of UDRP decision uniformity and predictability being
experienced by ICA members.

We would also urge that such a PDP consider the considerable benefits that
could flow if ICANN were to enter into formal contractual arrangements with
UDRP providers as it presently does with registries and registrars; including
better assurance of uniformity, enhanced and flexible enforcement, and clear
standards for retention of accreditation. Should ICANN undertake such an effort
it should be open to all concerned and affected constituencies under GNSO
auspices and procedures, rather than the undefined “global committee” suggested
in the NAF letter.

Conclusion

We hope that ICANN will find our comments useful as considers amendments to the
UDRP rules authorizing eUDRP proceedings.

Thank you for your consideration of our views in this matter.

Sincerely,

Philip S. Corwin

Counsel, Internet Commerce Association

Philip S. Corwin
Partner
Butera & Andrews
1301 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004

202-347-6875 (office)

202-347-6876 (fax)

202-255-6172 (cell)

"Luck is the residue of design." -- Branch Rickey