ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[fast-flux-initial-report]

Comment on Fast Flux Initial Report

  • To: <fast-flux-initial-report@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on Fast Flux Initial Report
  • From: "Philip Virgo" <philip.virgo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:54:47 -0000

On 10th February I attended the UK-Internet Governance Forum report back
from Hyderabad.

Time has run out.

Unless ICANN has shown, by the time of the next Internet Governance Forum,
that it can take a lead in helping ensure effective action, then the way
will be clear for the ITU to do it for them, backed by Governments, Victims,
Law Enforcement Agencies et al around the world.

I also think it highly unlikely that the US Government will even try to stop
them.

This is now costing business, including Telcos and legitimate ISPs, far too
much.

That will be a great pity, because the result will almost certainly be
second best, if it works at all ...

I should add that I joined ISOC in 1995 after a presentation where I was
told that, provided the Atlanta Olympics (the first big civilian commercial
test bed) worked, we faced a rush to re-engineer the Internet, and the comms
structure which carries it, before they collapsed. But the three big
challenges were security, security and security.

The achievements since then have been incredible - but the glacial progress
in addressing the situation than enables fast flux and the excuses for not
doing so, indicate an inexcusable institutional failure at the heart of
Internet Governance.

This is a personal view and should not be blamed on any of the organisations
with which I am associated.

Philip Virgo