ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnr-proposal-comments]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

Comments on GNR proposal

  • To: gnr-proposal-comments@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on GNR proposal
  • From: "S. Hecker" <sahecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:38:18 -0400

With respect to the GNR proposal, ICANN's existing naming policies have resulted in a tidal waive of fraud, spoofing, spamming, etc. It is marking it easier to register
domain names which, to a novice user, are those of readily identifiable companies, and the like.

For instance, I've received emails purportedly from organizations such as my ISP, Paypal, Ebay, etc. On their face, they look pretty authentic. In order to learn that they were
spoofed, one would have to research the domain name using Whois. After determining that the email is a spoof, there are few places to report the illegal activity that aren't already
overwhelmed with complaints. Increasingly the spoof emails are coming from China, Russia, and Africa. Complaining to Registrars and ISPs in those country is a complete waste of time.

Rather than increase the complexity (or length) of end user domain names, some thought should be put into ways to reduce this increasingly serious threat to the Internet.

Hopefully, I've expressed my concerns clearly enough.

Stephen Hecker
Maryland, USA

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>