ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] How are Internet users affected by fastflux hosting?

  • To: gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] How are Internet users affected by fastflux hosting?
  • From: Wendy Seltzer <wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:50:59 -0400

Joe St Sauver wrote:
> The Messaging Anti-Abuse Working Group, a consortium of leading
> international ISPs, has issued recommendations for managing port 25
> traffic to defeat direct-to-MX spamming, see http://www.maawg.org/port25
> If traffic on port 25 is blocked through following those recommendations,
> as it now is at many ISPs worldwide, spam can no longer be sent directly
> to remote mail servers from those compromised PCs (although non-spamming
> normal mail users can still send regular mail).
>
> When the ISPs control port 25, that leaves the shadowy "bot herders" with
> millions of compromised systems which are now incapable of directly
> spamming remote mail servers.

This step worries me.  Closing port 25 may stop some spam, temporarily,
but at the cost of depriving a whole class of Internet users of the
ability to be full peers.  Instead of getting Internet service, they
find themselves able to get only "Internet lite," or, if they're lucky,
getting to pay more for "premium tiers of service."  The ISP is making
presumptions about what "Internet" is, and those presumptions are wrong
and limiting for users who want to run their own services.

As we've seen, this does not stop the flow of spam email, although that
may slow until abusers find other routes.  It does, however, block
legitimate users from having full Internet access.

I think we have to guard against assuming that the Internet applications
and uses of today are the only ones that will be important in the future.

I'm not defending the use of compromised machines, but I'm trying to
ward off solutions to one problem that create new problems of their own.
 I appreciate your discussion of some of those difficulties.

--Wendy

--
Wendy Seltzer -- wendy@xxxxxxxxxxx
phone: +1.914.374.0613