ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The need for facts

  • To: "Fast Flux Workgroup" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The need for facts
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 08:48:34 -0500

i'd like to kick off another conversation (in Sunday morning, drinking-coffee, lowercase, informal mode).

a fair amount of the conversation on the list so far has been "solution" oriented. but it seems to me that before we get to solutions, we need to understand the problem we're trying to solve a lot better than we do now.

facts people, we need facts. sure, there are a lot of dire things that happen on the Internet (and in the larger world as well). but sometimes they don't happen very often, or don't happen to very many people, or don't really cause much damage, or are cheap and quick to fix, etc. without some facts, it's hard to tell which problems are really worth focusing on.

so i'm going to use this thread to pose a little series of hypothetical questions...

for any "problem statement" (or "solution statement") that we make;

1) what facts would we need in order to understand its scale and scope?

2) where could we get those facts?

3) are the statistics being collected now?   how well -- is the data credible?

4) if they're being collected, is the person/organization willing to share them?

5) if they're not being collected now, what's the best place to get them and is it worth it to go after them?

i'm feeling quite fact-starved in our dialog so far, and (in off-list conversations) so are others.

we've handed out an Action Item to Dave, Rod and Greg to head out into their respective communities and gather up the facts that they can. i'm feeling the urgency/need for this -- how's it going lads? can we have a first-viewing of the pile of facts by our call this Friday?

in some of the 425 prior jobs/careers i've had, i've used a little aphorism as guide.

                       "that which gets measured, gets done."

i'd like a side-order of facts to go with my morning coffee, please...  :-)

thanks,

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356

web: www.haven2.com