ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps

  • To: <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 15:30:08 -0400

Dear Joe:

You mistake my meaning on a point; forgive me if I was not clear.  WPDRS is
a compliance tool with segments designed for reporting, investigating, and
following up on contractual obligations.  So when I said that "The FFWG has
never endorsed the idea that ICANN create a WPDRS-like service for
fast-flux," I think that is correct.  The WG thought about asking for a
collection tool for WG research purposes, which is what I reiterated.  The
more I think about it, WPDRS is actually a very poor model for a FF data
collection mechanism.

As far as a tool created by ICANN: the security community already knows how
fast-flux works, and what domains the bad guys are using.  I wonder whether
there is really anything "murky" about our understanding that such an ICANN
tool would help clear up.  So I question the utility, and I question whether
this is a good use of ICANN's money and time, since I believe fast-flux
mitigation is beyond ICANN's mission and ability.  I think it would be more
effective and more properly situated if someone in the security community
created and maintained such a tool.

All best,
--Greg