ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps

  • To: <gnso-ff-pdp-may08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Comment References, Interim Conclusions and Next Steps
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:31:00 -0400

946-948 seems to say that anti-abuse responders use WPDRS to report
fast-flux domains for WHOIS violations, because WHOIS complaints are an
existing means of trying to get domains down.  And 946-948 does not
recommend to ICANN that an official ICANN reporting channel for FF be
created -- it says that a specific FF reporting channel would disambiguate
the issue from WHOIS.

I think the core issue is: is the WG asking ICANN for a tool for FFWF
research purposes (which is what I think was discussed in previous meetings,
and what I think is in the current draft)?  Or is the WG calling for ICANN
to create an official tool of some sort, possibly for enforcing policy?
WPDRS exists and is designed to enforce a contractual obligation.

This would be a good subject for upcoming meeting, to get more clarity into
the document.

All best,
--Greg