ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] IDN Working Group Chair voting procedure

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] IDN Working Group Chair voting procedure
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 09:41:18 +1100

Hello Olof,

Thanks for retrieving the original resolution to create the working
group.

The follow up below is from the minutes of the last Council meeting:

"In moving forward, there was general support for a working group model
that would monitor developments in the IETF, receive regular briefing
from the other relevant groups working on IDNs, and could advise the
Council on next steps.

Bruce Tonkin proposed that:
1. The existing IDN working group with its mailing list should be
reinstated.
http://www.gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-18may06.shtml
2. Interested constituency members could join.
3. Cary Karp and Olof Nordling would work together to define some of the
issues and revise the language.
4. Cary Karp would compile an update of the different documents."

I had expected that the original working group would be a fairly small
group of volunteers, but most of the constituencies were interested in
having one or more people "volunteer".

I have assumed that constituencies would pass on information about the
group.  To my knowledge there has been no public call for members.

Since the Council meeting I have been contacted by a couple of people
seeking to join the working group.

I have informed them that they need first to become members of a GNSO
Constituency, and have referred them to the GNSO Secretariat for
assistance in joining a constituency.  I would expect that a
constituency would verify the membership of a person prior to joining
the working group.

With regard to the chair, I don't have the time, and wanted to get
someone else to take on the task.   There are two excellent candidates,
and I thought that the best approach was to elect the chair.
I will abstain from voting for either candidate.

There is no deadline for members.

Note that this is not part of any PDP process.  It is a general working
group, and the closest we have to the rules for a working group I posted
earlier.
Ie
http://www.gnso.icann.org/mailing-lists/archives/council/msg02934.html

Regards,