ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Follow-up regarding WIPO UDRP experience with IDN

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Follow-up regarding WIPO UDRP experience with IDN
  • From: "Olof Nordling" <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:25:29 +0100

Dear all,
During the WG meeting last Sunday, when we discussed the potential need for
a review of the UDRP to adapt it to IDN, I mentioned that WIPO had already
applied the UDRP to IDN domain name disputes. This statement was based on a
WIPO press release from 16 October:
http://www.wipo.int/edocs/prdocs/en/2006/wipo_pr_2006_464.html

An excerpt from this press release reads:
?The Center also offers dispute resolution services for registrations in
non-Roman ("non-ASCII") scripts such as Arabic, Chinese, Cyrillic or Korean
("internationalized" domain names) and has so far received 60 complaints in
relation to such names, of which six are pending. The number such cases is
expected to increase in future. The Center has managed proceedings in 12
languages, namely, Chinese, Dutch, English, French, German, Italian,
Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish.?

As promised, I have dug into the WIPO data base and so far found 42 IDN
cases, from late 2000 until today. The proceedings are in various languages
(choice of the respondent, I believe); 18 in English, 1 German, 1 Spanish, 5
Chinese, 13 Korean, 4 Japanese. To my non-expert eyes, having sampled cases
(in for me accessible languages), the proceedings don't show any
particularities compared to "normal" UDRP cases, with the obvious exception
that the contested string is an IDN. I have supplied some samples below,
FYI.

I have contacted WIPO to pursue this track a step further and hear their
views on whether a review of the UDRP is called for in the light of their
experience. I will revert to you all with any additional information I get.

Also, I would like to stress that this track relates to second level
disputes - the need for a particular (although probably UDRP-like) dispute
resolution procedure for the top-level has already been identified in the
New gTLD recommendations.

Very best regards
Olof

Sample WIPO IDN UDRP cases, in chronological order:

Sankyo Co., Ltd. v. Zhu Jiajun. Case No. D2000-1791.
A Chinese IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-1791.html

Citizen Watch (China) Co., Ltd. v. Cheng Zhi Gang. Case No. D2001-1305.
A Chinese IDN under . com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2001/d2001-1305.html

Iwasaki Corporation and Iwasaki Hotels Corporation v. Mitaden Co., Ltd..
Case No. D2002-0357
Three Japanese IDNs (One Kanji IDN under . com and two identical Hiragana
IDNs under .com and .net, respectively). Ruled in favour of the
complainants. In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0357.html

Golden Harvest (Marks) Limited and Golden Harvest Film Productions Limited
v. Deng Yaonan. Case No. D2003-0756
A Chinese IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2003/d2003-0756.html

Allgäuer Überlandwerk GmbH v. Frank Wagner. Case No. D2004-0405.
A German IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the respondent. In German.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2004/d2004-0405.html

Galerías Vinçon, S.A. v. Ildefonso Gámez Rus. Caso No. D2004-0840
A Spanish (Catalan) IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In
Spanish
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2004/d2004-0840.html

Kabushiki Kaisha Hitachi Seisakusho (Japan Corporation), d/b/a Hitachi, Ltd.
v. Shanghai Meihu Leather Co., Ltd.Case No. D2005-0528
A Japanese (Kanji) IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In
English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2005/d2005-0528.html

Württembergische Versicherung AG v. Emir Ulu, Case No. D2006-0278.
A German IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0278.html

FUJITSU Limited v. tete and Lianqiu Li, Case No D2006-0885.
A Chinese character IDN under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant. In
English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0885.html

Banco Itaú S.A. v. Fernanda Ap. Hidalgo da Silva Case No. D2006-0939
A Portuguese IDN domain name under .com. Ruled in favour of the complainant.
In English.
http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2006/d2006-0939.html