ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details

  • To: olof nordling <olof.nordling@xxxxxxxxx>, chun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] One comment on techno-policy details
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:59:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi Olof,

Basically, it looks to me as either you are in violent agreement with
Chun (then there might be some changes to the para./statement he's
referring to,) or you're missing the point, (or again, I'm lost.)
Your example refers to the "same script" (wether it's ASCII based or
else) whereby "confusingly similar" makes some sense. The point Chun
was making, as I've understood it, was that there is a problem
applying the notion "confusingly similar" in cross-script situation
("different languages", "different language script labels," etc.)

In other words, does it make any sense to assume that a new
non-ASCII, IDN gTLD might be "confusingly similar" to an existing
ASCII gTLD. If you (anyone) think so, then how and to whom? To the
DNS server? to some users? If not, then are we talking about an IDN
gTLD (string) in one script being possibly "confusingly similar" to
another IDN gTLD (string) in another script? And then again, at what
level: root server? user visual experience? and in the latter, to
what extent do we expect the users of different languages and scripts
to be the same, etc.? Ultimately, the rationale and relevance of this
notion may need to be reconsidered and clarified in the IDN context,
and if relevant, grounded in the IDN space as well as it may be the
case in the traditional TLD space.

Or have I wholly missed the point?

Thanks,

Mawaki