ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Comments on notes of 30 Jan

  • To: Mike Rodenbaugh <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Comments on notes of 30 Jan
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 15:19:47 -0800 (PST)

Mike: Does your exposé about trademark rights mean to confirm that
what the WG referred to in that para about "ex ante rights" was
trademark, and maybe intellectual property, rights? And this in the
context of cross-script and IDN gTLD?

Let's not forget that we are eventually to recommend a policy to
ICANN, and it is necessary to keep in mind the scope of ICANN's
mission. It appears to me that this position would lead ICANN in a
situation of adopting a kind of hard regime regulatory role, while
I'm not even sure that there is an ICANN executive who publicly just
admits that the organization has any regulatory role!

The notion of "confusingly similar" may have a good career in the US
courtrooms but is it so, universally? Do we have one global law
addressing IPR and trademark issues in the same manner? Is ICANN's
global governance intended to exclusively apply US norms globally? Is
 even UDRP, for example, a globally accepted mechanism for addressing
litigations in the TLD (I clearly mean at the top level) or only from
second and lower levels so far?

Let me follow up on your example with "yahoo" (I'm Ok taking that
name because it's not (yet) a TLD name, and it sounds... nice!) We
seem to be saying that Yahoo!, Inc. is proprietary of the sound that
one makes while pronouncing that corporation's name, as long as
Internet and trade/business are concerned. So that if it turns out
that in a totally different linguistic universe, there is a word
written in their own different script but making the same sound as
"yahoo" when pronounced, that language community should be prohibited
from ever using that word of theirs to identify themselves on the
Internet, especially in the DNS.

Let ne first say that I'm not trying to contempt trademark interests
(though some may be surprised about this, but really, am not!) I just
think, sincerely, that it is a bold and wrong step to make ICANN
endorse such a policy _a priori_. I don't think it has that
authority, and think where broader interpretations/perceptions of
"confusingly similar" beyond "typographically similar" might be
involved, it is better to let it assess IDN gTLD applications on case
by case basis. There might be very legitimate reasons for people to
use a specific world in their language and script, which just happens
accidentally to sound like another brandname in ASCII, they should be
given the possibility to make their point (by applying for it,) and
ICANN to assess the actual issues related to such situation in order,
if possible, to find a fair and satisfactory ground to both parties
and take ultimate decision, or refer the case to the competent
jurisdictional and legal authorities if necessary.

In fact, I figure that in most situations such scenario might not
even be a threat to the ascii-based trademark holders. Because the
natives of the hypothetical language where there would be a word
sounding like "yahoo" would in fact hear such world and perceive its
meaning in their own language first, before they can possibly think,
"Yahoo!, Inc." has a name that sounds like that word (in their
language,) not the other way around. As to those for whom that
language is not natural, an IDN gTLD will just be a string of
characters rather than a sound and a meaning they can relate to.

My dear friends from the Business constituency got me convinced with
the new gTLDs PDP discussion that we need to support competition even
at the top level, and I have to say I'm a bit surprised that that
position doesn't seem to hold any longer when it comes to IDN - even
if that necessitates inventing phonetical and semantical rights (from
one language or script) across all languages and scripts.

The bottom line is, making a policy that would potentially and
automatically prohibit from the DNS the use of some words by people
in their own language, for the sake of avoiding all forms of
proximity/similarity with brand that already exists is a heavy-handed
policy to put in ICANN's hands. While, if we keep this clearer and
light-handed (at the minimum understandable and acceptable by all) by
sticking to "typographic similarity," every party will still have the
possibility to make a claim and seek a fair decision should a real
threat occur, if at all.

Best,

Mawaki