ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Passing on a request for aliasing of IDNs

  • To: "'Werner Staub \(CORE\)'" <werner.staub@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Avri Doria'" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Passing on a request for aliasing of IDNs
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:05:23 +0800

I think this thread raises a good point, and I generally agree in the direction
it tries to solve an important issue for IDN TLDs.  Nevertheless, it could
potentially be complicated... For example I immediately think of 2 further
considerations:

1. making sure we do not prejudice against existing ASCII TLDs whose intent may
have been to opt for a particular IDN TLD, but because it was not available at
the moment chose an ASCII string.  I.e. if new IDN applications are given the
capability to choose an ASCII alias, the same (or the reverse) should probably
be extended to ASCII TLDs (of course where appropriate).

2. if a particular TLD is used as an "alias" how would icann fees look like?...
furthermore, we are talking about 1 particular alias, but what about 2 aliases
for example in the case of Chinese (as William earlier mentioned about Trad and
Simp Chinese)... in this case it would be 3 TLDs.  Would that then be
allowed?... and what would the icann fees be?... We could take this further,
e.g. an Indic application may want to have 40 aliases for each Indic language
so that as Indians travel around India they are not limited (this may be a bit
of a stretch, but still, the point is "one" alias for "one" purpose of the
"transportability" issue may be problematic and have other types of scalability
issues.  (that being said I am not against it :-))

On Werner's point, I find that hard to "enforce".  In fact I don't necessarily
agree either as it might not work well for Chinese for example.  Translation in
many cases would likely be more desired than a transliteration (and there is no
universal standard transliteration either, which is rather typical of Asian
languages I believe)

Edmon