ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Passing on a request for aliasing of IDNs

  • To: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Passing on a request for aliasing of IDNs
  • From: "Yoav Keren" <yoav@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 01:04:31 +0200

Avri, Werner, Edmon, Sophia, all,

I would first like to express my support in the views of Edmon and
Sophia.

Furthermore, I would like to re-visit the core issues that troubled
those people that addressed Avri. I generally think that they are wrong
in their fears and in there views, and I'll explain why:

1.      IDNs have been created to remove the language barrier for those
the English/ASCII script creates a barrier to use the Internet. The
whole idea of IDNs is to solve LOCAL community barriers, from the
language/script side. They were not intended and would not be able to
solve local government censorship. Isolation of local Internet
communities and restriction of freedom of speech already exists these
days in several countries, and is controlled by governments through
different technical methods including the monitoring of email
communication, the blocking of IP addresses and domain names, etc. These
methods will continue to exist after IDNs are launched. IDNs are not
intended to solve this problem, not would it matter or solve the problem
if they are aliased to an ASCII TLD.
2.      Furthermore, the use of IDNs would enable more people in the
world to be exposed and enjoy the enormous possibilities of the
Internet. IDNs would certainly reduce the barrier for local/language
communities that currently do not use the Internet. I believe the
existence of IDNs will not affect the policy of those certain
governments and they might continue in their censorship. But if those
communities will be relieved from the language barrier, with time they
will be more and more exposed to the goods of the Internet, and the
censorship would certainly become weaker and weaker. One of the main
strengths of the Internet is in the fact it allows easy and cheap
communication among its users - and I believe that even if this
communication would be made within censored communities - on the long
run these communities would be far better off regarding freedom of
speech, new ideas, knowledge, etc.
3.      About the email issues - I would first like to remind all of us
that we are currently talking about Internationalized Domain Names.
Although I believe that one of the immediate and most important
applications would be IEAs (Internationalized Email Addresses) their
full implementation is more complicated (from the technical side), and
it would take time till email software vendors would develop supporting
versions, and some more time till ISPs and email service suppliers would
implement it.
4.      IEAs are certainly intended for use within local/language
communities. It is clear that communication using IEAs from people of
that community traveling or leaving abroad would need special measures.
Yet, this could be simply solved in many ways; one is for example - a
web-based IEA solution that also offers a web-based keyboard in the
designated language. Such services are actually available today for the
typing of email content in local languages without having IDNs and IEAs
implemented yet.
5.      I do not believe that IEA's should or would replace the use of
ascii email addresses. Nor would IDNs replace the use of adcii domain
names. It is to my belief that those that English is a barrier to them,
would use IEAs nd IDNs, and those from the local communities that
English is not a barrier to them would use both. The fact that IEAs and
IDNs would exist without having an alias in ascii, has nothing to do to
whether those people will or can communicate with people outside of
their community using English (English in general - the email address is
just a part of it). English would probably continue to be the common
international communication language - also in domain names and email
addresses, while other languages will be used in IDNs and IEAs for local
communication in local/language communities.
6.      Regarding IDN ccTLDs - Sophia stated that IDN ccTLDs should not
be automatically given to current ccTLD registries. And I would like to
add - who said we must have IDN ccTLDs at all? I believe that if we are
able to implement one to a few gTLDs in each relevant non-ascii
language/script it would be more than enough, and I am not sure whether
going on an IDN ccTLD path would not bring us to a point where we have
hundreds of IDN ccTLDs in each language, which will expand the name
space to enormous levels, while creating many new problems - political
(think about the .il - Israel's extension in Farsi - who will get it?
The Iranians?!?! Israelis?!?! ...), legal, etc..

To summarize, I believe that:

- Ascii aliases are not needed.

- IDN TLDs should not be automatically given to anyone. Process should
be open and free.

Best,

Yoav