ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Regarding IDN work in ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee

  • To: <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Regarding IDN work in ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 21:01:02 +1100

Hello All,

Just a note that I have been informed by the chair of ICANN's Security
and Stability Advisory Committee
(http://www.icann.org/committees/security/), Steve Crocker, that the
committee is about to commence some work on IDNs.

See below.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin

> SSAC is initiating a study of the security and stability issues
> related to IDNs.  This study is being led by Ram Mohan and will
> involve a mixture of SSAC committee members and invited outside
> experts.  This work will be coordinated closely with other IDN
> committees, including, of course, the GNSO committee.  It's
> particularly helpful, of course, that Ram is the chair of both
> committees.  The focus of this work is on security and stability
> implications related to the various proposed strategies for
> introducing IDNs into the root and lower levels of the DNS tree,
> including the impact on end users, end user systems, and name servers.

When we get the study started, we'll supply more information.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Crocker