ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Unified rules within a DNS subtree

  • To: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Unified rules within a DNS subtree
  • From: Steve Crocker <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:05:57 -0500

Sophia, and others:

At the risk of stirring up unnecessary controversy, let me press on the specific point I have in mind to see whether we have the same model.

In my mind, I make a large distinction between existing TLDs and new TLDs. Existing TLDs are governed by an existing set rules. In particular, the existing TLD administrators, particularly the existing gTLD administrators, have little control over the lower levels. I operate shinkuro.com, and if I choose to create a third level name which is a mixture of many scripts, I'm free to do so.

On the other hand, it seems to me we have the option of having a different set of rules to govern new TLDs, if we think there's a good reason for there to be different rules. It was with this assumption that I replied to Cary that it might be possible to use contractual and other means, not just a unified zone, to enforce a rule about the use of scripts in lower levels. Thus, the picture I have in mind is all levels would be enforceable for new TLDs, if that's the direction that's adopted.

I'm not saying whether this is a good or bad idea. I was merely putting forth an alternative means of accomplishing the enforcement of a rule like "single script" as a reply to Cary's note that it would be necessary to implement all levels within a single zone. As I said, this wouldn't apply to any existing TLD. Similarly, Cary's comment about having all levels within a single zone would only be possible for a new TLD.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Crocker
steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx