ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Re: Banning CCHH anywhere in a label
  • From: "Cary Karp" <ck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 10:47:54 +0100 (CET)

Quoting Sophia:

> my personal recommendation would be to err on the side of
> safety and suggest banning cc-- across the board.

This reduces to prohibiting two consecutive hyphens in a label, unless
they are in the second and third position (and that label would not be
rejected by any other restrictions on hyphens that already apply).

Before recommending the introduction of this constraint it might be
advisable to determine the number of currently registered names that it
would invalidate (and/or to assess the scope of the grandfathering effort
that would be required to retain them).

/Cary