ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space

  • To: "Tina Dam" <tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space
  • From: "Yoav Keren" <yoav@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:42:07 +0200

I disagree with your view Tina.

I disagree that the concept "confusingly similar", with the
interpretation you gave to it, goes across scripts/languages. We
specifically crystallized the concept of "confusingly similar" in the
IDN world to typographically/ visually confusingly similar.
If we are to accept your view, the practical meaning of it is that the
incumbent registries will automatically receive all the
transliterations/translations of their TLD in all other
languages/scripts (for example Verisign will be the registry for the
transliterations of .com and .net in all other scripts).
There was a strong opposition in the WG against this view. And there was
a support here to give language/local communities a preference.

I believe that if ICANN goes along that path the IDN initiative of ICANN
will raise enormous resistance in local language communities around the
world, and will be doomed to fail.

I do not see why if another WG which was considering new ASCII TLDs, and
developed some concepts without considering their IDN implications, then
the IDN WG cannot come with a different view that takes into
consideration the opulent views that were presented in the WG by
representatives of different cultures and language communities around
the world.

Regards,

Yoav

P.s. Just a reminder that a previous committee for IDN, the Katoh led
committee, that was also provided with extensive inputs, was dead
against the view suggested by Tina, and against automatically delegating
IDN TLDs equivalent to current gTLDs, to the incumbent registries.

On

-
> but
> the gTLD registries are not able to help them because the domain names
are
> not under their control or administration.
>
> I wonder how the PDP on new gTLDs process (for making sure that there
is
> no
> confusingly similarity between applied strings and existing strings)
match