ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.2.2 - Subbiah

  • To: "'subbiah'" <subbiah@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx>, "'GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] Item 4.2.2 - Subbiah
  • From: "Ram Mohan" <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:51:45 -0400

Colleagues,
I believe this is a laudable idea.  It may need a bit more tweaking before
it is implementable.

If the goal is to ensure that local language authorities/communities voices
are heard, our current draft document already address it adequately - by
stating that for all new IDN gTLD applications, ICANN should consult these
authorities/communities.

It seems to me that the various examples stated (INFITT, CDNC, JET, etc) all
had the explicit or tacit approval and involvement from the respective
governments involved.  However, I can say that if two governments decided
that they did not see a language the same way, the views of any private
organization hold little sway.  We have the happy circumstance that this is
not the case now for Tamil or CJK; it appears to me, however, that our task
is to make recommendations that work for both the best and the worst cases.

I worry that folks from the language diaspora, who may or may not be
organized into a committee or organization that speaks in a disciplined and
unified way, could get disenfranchised by such a process.  For instance, in
the case of Tamil, there are a significant number of language speakers in
far-flung nations such as Belgium, Ghana, Syria and Guatemala, among others.

If the goal is to ensure that ICANN must not even consider any application
that has not first been "blessed" by a language community, then this is a
new topic that needs new discussion, rather than amend an existing topic
that already has some broad support to it.

-Ram
Ram Mohan
e: rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx | m: +1.215.431.0958