ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space

• To: rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx, yoav@xxxxxxxx, tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx, gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 13:05:46 -0400

<html><div style='background-color:'><DIV class=RTE>
<P>sounds like the most useful path forward, Ram. thanks. Marilyn 
<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 
0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>

<DIV></DIV>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>"Ram Mohan" &lt;rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>Reply-To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>&lt;rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>"'Yoav Keren'" &lt;yoav@xxxxxxxx&gt;, "'Tina Dam'" &lt;tina.dam@xxxxxxxxx&gt;, &lt;gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space</I><BR>Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:55:47 -0400</I><BR>&gt;Some observations:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;- We've already said no priority rights exist (i.e., VeriSign does not<BR>&gt;automatically get .com in all languages).&nbsp;&nbsp;Plus, also note that .COM is not<BR>&gt;a sponsored TLD<BR>&gt;- We've said each new IDN gTLD application should be treated on its own<BR>&gt;merit, and language community input is essential<BR>&gt;- We've listed out what we mean by confusingly similar, and I believe that<BR>&gt;this is reflected in our draft outcomes document.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;We also need to acknowledge that some sponsored registries have expressed<BR>&gt;their views that they believe they should get the equivalent of their TLD<BR>&gt;string, which we should note.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;In short, Yoav/Tina/WG members: I don't believe we're going to get to<BR>&gt;"agreement" on this topic.&nbsp;&nbsp;We certainly seem to have support and<BR>&gt;alternative views that are well developed.&nbsp;&nbsp;Olof, could you summarize these<BR>&gt;views into a support/alternate view statement please?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Regards,<BR>&gt;Ram<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;--------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>&gt;Ram Mohan<BR>&gt;e: rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx | m: +1.215.431.0958<BR>&gt;--------------------------------------------------------------------------<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;-----Original Message-----<BR>&gt;From: owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On<BR>&gt;Behalf Of Yoav Keren<BR>&gt;Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 8:42 AM<BR>&gt;To: Tina Dam; gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt;Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I disagree with your view Tina.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I disagree that the concept "confusingly similar", with the<BR>&gt;interpretation you gave to it, goes across scripts/languages. We<BR>&gt;specifically crystallized the concept of "confusingly similar" in the<BR>&gt;IDN world to typographically/ visually confusingly similar.<BR>&gt;If we are to accept your view, the practical meaning of it is that the<BR>&gt;incumbent registries will automatically receive all the<BR>&gt;transliterations/translations of their TLD in all other<BR>&gt;languages/scripts (for example Verisign will be the registry for the<BR>&gt;transliterations of .com and .net in all other scripts).<BR>&gt;There was a strong opposition in the WG against this view. And there was<BR>&gt;a support here to give language/local communities a preference.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I believe that if ICANN goes along that path the IDN initiative of ICANN<BR>&gt;will raise enormous resistance in local language communities around the<BR>&gt;world, and will be doomed to fail.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;I do not see why if another WG which was considering new ASCII TLDs, and<BR>&gt;developed some concepts without considering their IDN implications, then<BR>&gt;the IDN WG cannot come with a different view that takes into<BR>&gt;consideration the opulent views that were presented in the WG by<BR>&gt;representatives of different cultures and language communities around<BR>&gt;the world.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Regards,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Yoav<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;P.s. Just a reminder that a previous committee for IDN, the Katoh led<BR>&gt;committee, that was also provided with extensive inputs, was dead<BR>&gt;against the view suggested by Tina, and against automatically delegating<BR>&gt;IDN TLDs equivalent to current gTLDs, to the incumbent registries.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; &gt; From: owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx]<BR>&gt;On<BR>&gt; &gt; Behalf Of Tina Dam<BR>&gt; &gt; Sent: Monday, March 19, 2007 11:38 AM<BR>&gt; &gt; To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt; Subject: RE: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; To expand on Marilyn's note - and especially to those who has not been<BR>&gt; &gt; involved in the PDP for new gTLDs - there is a specific restriction in<BR>&gt; &gt; this<BR>&gt; &gt; PDP concerning confusing similarity.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Confusingly similarity goes across scripts (and languages) as well. I<BR>&gt;have<BR>&gt; &gt; heard several times end-users being confused about domain names they<BR>&gt;have<BR>&gt; &gt; registered under (IDN) transliterated strings in alternant roots that<BR>&gt;when<BR>&gt; &gt; transliterated or translated into ASCII corresponds to an existing<BR>&gt;gTLD.<BR>&gt; &gt; These customers approach the corresponding gTLD registries and<BR>&gt;complain<BR>&gt; &gt; about lack of service (such as their domain name not functioning etc)<BR>&gt;-<BR>&gt; &gt; but<BR>&gt; &gt; the gTLD registries are not able to help them because the domain names<BR>&gt;are<BR>&gt; &gt; not under their control or administration.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I wonder how the PDP on new gTLDs process (for making sure that there<BR>&gt;is<BR>&gt; &gt; no<BR>&gt; &gt; confusingly similarity between applied strings and existing strings)<BR>&gt;match<BR>&gt; &gt; with the previous statements from members on this WG on sTLDs (and<BR>&gt;gTLDs<BR>&gt; &gt; in<BR>&gt; &gt; general) participation and also the recommendation for support to<BR>&gt;existing<BR>&gt; &gt; IDN developments in regions? It seems to me that they are in direct<BR>&gt; &gt; conflict.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I recommend that Ram as our Chair to discuss with the GNSO PDP for new<BR>&gt; &gt; gTLDs<BR>&gt; &gt; (- group or chair) to make sure that this IDN WG does not spend/waste<BR>&gt;time<BR>&gt; &gt; on making recommendations against work that already is in place and<BR>&gt; &gt; started<BR>&gt; &gt; to be planned for implementation in another policy group.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Tina<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; From: owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; [mailto:owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Sent: Sunday, March 18, 2007 9:35 AM<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; To: Cary Karp; owner-gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx; gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; I think in fact as i understand, the existing sponsored strings did<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; expect to represent that string fully. Thus, given there a few<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sponsored names at present, I wonder if the statements made earlier<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; that the previous sponsored strings may be uniquely treated&nbsp;&nbsp;are not<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; valid, and that new strings can have different rules, as should the<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; open, unrestricted present strings. But please keep in mind the need<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; for a string NOT to be confusingly similar to an existing string.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Regards,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Marilyn Cade<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; -----Original Message-----<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; From: Cary Karp &lt;ck@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 12:54:30<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; To:gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] sTLD participation in the IDN space<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Quoting Yoav:<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; I really think that since the current situation of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sponsored gTLD is<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; that there is no one definition of what is, or what should<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; be regarded<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; as a sponsoring organization, there should be no special<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; treatment for<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; &gt; sponsored gTLDs in the IDN world.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; If it is not possible to provide a single categorical definition of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sponsorship, there is no basis for categorical statements about how<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sTLDs may or may not participate in the internationalization of the<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; name space. This notwithstanding, I would suggest that ICANN's<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; contractual recognition of a Sponsoring Organization provides a<BR>&gt;fully<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; applicable -- if not outright tautological -- working definition of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; that concept.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; If it would help this discussion for the Registry Constituency to<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; develop the position statement suggested in:<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-idn-wg/msg00181.html<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; I will gladly set that process in motion.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; /Cary<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></div></html>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy