ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

[gnso-idn-wg] Updated GNSO IDN wg Statements of Interest 28 March 2007

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-idn-wg] Updated GNSO IDN wg Statements of Interest 28 March 2007
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:03:28 +0200

Dear All,

Caroline Greer has added her statement of interest.

The following people have not yet provided Statements of Interest (SoI).
Please do so before the COB on Friday, otherwise those who do not submit
a completed SoI will be suspended from the working group, and be
reinstated upon submission of their SoI.

Tony Holmes
Dan Dougherty
Sadik Chandiwala
Susan Estrada
Eva Fröchlich

Please submit your statements of interest to the IDN mailing list
following the template below:
1. Current vocation, employer and position

2. Type of work performed in 1 above

3.  Financial ownership or management leadership of registries,
registrars or other firms that are interested parties in IDNs.

4. Type of commercial interest in IDNs.

If some people have sent statements that are not mentioned below, please resend to the IDN mailing list.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards
Glen
Statements of Interest for the GNSO IDN working group

Sophia Bekele
Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I represent a California based, privately held company, CBS Enterprise
Group, which is engaged in international business.   As part of its
portfolio  of services, the company provides systems integration
services through CBS International, which delivers domain registration,
web hosting and email services to end users via a reseller, agreement
with registrars.  Less than 10% of CBS's business is derived from these
services.

In my personal capacity, I do not have any  of my moneys, invested in
companies that are in the registrar businesses.  I do not believe that
any activities  of the Council or ICANN could have a material effect on
the work I do at CBS International.

I am interested in the issues of IDN.  My individual perspective has
always been and I have been vocal during meetings within the GNSO and
themain board  to create a process of dialog for the various voices via
aworking group that is represented by a larger constituency as well as
theInternet community at large;  This, I am glad to see has resulted in
thecurrent working group we have launched successfully.

As a technologist by formal training and professional experience, I can
comprehend the issues considered necessary by the technical community,
andas an end user and someone who understands the needs of countries
thatuse scripts other than Latin scripts, I also, appreciate the broader
perspectiverequired by the Internet end-user community.
http://icannwiki.org/Sophia_Bekele

Marilyn Cade Interest Statement from Marilyn Cade

AAfter a long tenure at AT&T as the V.P. of Policy for Internet and
E-Commerce, I now own a small business that provides advice, policy
development support, and representation in Internet policy and Internet
governance issues.

My primary client is AT&T, where I advise  and represent them with
associations, governments, international organizations on a wide variety
of issues related to the Internet and IP Services, as well as Internet
governance. The primary interest of my clients related to ICANN is
stability and security of the global Internet.

I do not represent any company at ICANN.  I do advise Overstock.com, who
has declared an interest in single letters at the second level. I am
also available to provide administrative management of an external
independent process in the event of eligibility disputes for The Travel
Partnership Corporation (tppc).

I am a former GNSO Councilor, and a member of the Commercial and
Business Constituency. I am a member of the WHOIS TF; the Reseved Names
Working Group, and the IDN Working Group. I am also a member of the
ICANN President's Strategy Committee (PSC).

Probably my statement could be more explicit. I have no financial
involvement myself in my business, nor do i have client activities that
are about commercial interests in IDNs. I sort of thought that inherent
in my statement, but after reading your note, i am happy to be very clear.
Jonathan Cohen

Jonathan Cohen is a Canadian intellectual property lawyer, and a member
and former president of the Intellectual Property Constituency. He is
also a former member of the GNSO Council and a former member of the
ICANN Board of Directors.

Mr. Cohen has long shown an interest in the development of
Internationalized Domain Names, especially from a policy perspective.

While only able to provide a limited  contribution to discussions
regarding the technical aspects of IDNs, Mr. Cohen feels that it is
important to have an understanding of some of the technical challenges
that exits.

Mr. Cohen's interests are to determine to what extent IDNs has developed
and how the developments impact intellectual property concerns and other
policy considerations.
EDMON CHUNG - Registry constituency

I am currently serving as the CEO for DotAsia Organisation Ltd.  DotAsia
is the registry operator and sponsor for the ICANN Sponsored gTLD
".ASIA".  DotAsia is  a not-for-profit membership based organization
incorporated in Hong Kong.  The  current members of DotAsia includes 20
ccTLDs (".AF", ".BT", ".CN", ".ID", ".IN", ".IR", ".JP", ".KH", ".KR",
".KZ", ".MN", ".MO", ".NU", ".NZ", ".PH",
".SG", ".TJ", ".TW", ".UZ" and ".VN") in the Asia community and 3
regional  organisations: APNIC, APNG and PAN.  APNIC is an RIR in the
ICANN ASO.  DotAsia  was, I believe, the first gTLD that has expressed
interest in its application  to operate IDN TLDs.

Prior to joining DotAsia, I was the Creative Director of Afilias Ltd.
Afilias  is the registry operator for the ICANN gTLD ".INFO".  Afilias
also provides  registry services to other ICANN gTLDs, including ".ORG",
".AERO" and ".MOBI",  as well as other ccTLDs including ".IN", ".AG",
".GI", ".SC", ".HN", ".BZ",  ".VC", ".MN", ".LA", and ".SG".  Prior to
Afilias, I was the President and  Chief Creative Officer of Neteka.
Neteka was focused on IDN technologies.
Steve Crocker

I am the liaison from ICANN's Security and Stability Advisory Committee
(SSAC).  (I am also the chair of SSAC and SSAC's liaison to the ICANN
board.)

I am a long-time Internet technologist.  I have math and computer
science background.  In the early days of the Arpanet, 1969-1971, I
helped put the first node on the Internet and created the RFCs and run
the original Network Working Group, the forerunner of the IETF.

I've got a modest background in linguistics and I am keen to seen IDNs
flourish in the Internet.  At the same time, I am also focused on
maintaining the coherence of the net, i.e. that users see the same thing
no matter where they come from.
PAUL DIAZ Registrar

I am a full-time employee of Network Solutions, LLC where I currently
serve as the Policy & Ethics Manager.  Network Solutions is an
ICANN-accredited registrar offering gTLD and ccTLD domain name
registration and Web presence services to our small business customers.
Network Solutions also has two affiliated, ICANN-accredited registrars,
NameSecure L.L.C. and TLDS L.L.C d/b/a SRSplus.  I am not in possession
of any registry sensitive or proprietary information.  To the best of my
knowledge, I have no ownership interest in any entity that currently has
business before the GNSO or ICANN.
Further to my previous Statement of Interest, my daily responsibilities
include handling ICANN-related issues, corporate advocacy at the local,
state and federal levels, and administering Network Solutions' business
ethics program.  I have no ownership interest in Network Solutions or
its affiliated registrars, nor in any current registry operator.
Network Solutions and its affiliated registrars intend to offer IDN
registration services in the future.
Statement of interest for Alistair Dixon

I am a Regulatory and Industry Advisor for TelstraClear, a New
Zealand-based  subsidiary of Telstra Corporation. My role consists of
providing advice and representing TelstraClear in its interactions with
the New Zealand Government and regulators.

TelstraClear is a full service telecommunications provider and operates
ISP businesses in New Zealand.  TelstraClear is a registrar in the .nz
domain.
TelstraClear's parent company Telstra Corporation is a
telecommunications provider that has businesses and customers throughout
the world though principally in the Asia-Pacific region.

TelstraClear is a member of the business constituency.  I am an Officer
of the Business Constituency and am on the GNSO Council.

I have no employment, contract, financial interest or other business
relationship with ICANN, ICANN registries or registrars.  Neither I nor,
to the best of my knowledge, Telstra Corporation or TelstraClear has
commercial interests in IDNs.
I am a Regulatory and Industry Advisor for TelstraClear, a New
Zealand-based subsidiary of Telstra Corporation. My role consists of
providing advice and representing TelstraClear in its interactions with
the New Zealand  Government and regulators.

TelstraClear is a full service telecommunications provider and operates
ISP businesses in New Zealand.  TelstraClear is a registrar in the .nz
domain. TelstraClear's parent company Telstra Corporation is a
telecommunications provider that has businesses and customers throughout
the world though principally in the Asia-Pacific region.

I have no employment, contract, financial interest or other business
relationship with ICANN, ICANN registries or registrars.
Avri Doria

I am a nomcom appointee to the council, and believe that part of my
responsibility as a volunteer to the council is to participate in as
much of the work as possible. I am employed as a research consultant at
Luleå University of Technology in Sweden where my funding comes from
general University funds, Swedish nation research funding and ETRI, a
research institute funded by the S. Korean government. I also have a
contract doing QoS R&D for a Swedish start-up and am occasionally
employed as a consultant to the secretariat of the IGF. I do not belong
to any of the ICANN constituencies, though I do belong to several of the
organizations that are members of the NCUC and am on their mailing list.
I am also a registrant of several TLDs and subscribe to the GA list.

My primary interest in this WG has to do with a concern that technology
and policy each contribute to the process of deploying IDNs in their
respective roles.

Updated statements can be found at http://psg.com/~avri/icann-stmt-
interest.html
Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (Darwin)

Caroline Greer
I am Director of Policy and Industry Relations for mTLD Ltd, the Registry responsible for the .mobi TLD. I am dotMobi's representative in the gTLD Registry Constituency.

dotMobi is the first top level domain dedicated to delivering the internet to the mobile phone. The Registry is sponsored by a consortium of thirteen companies, two of which (Nokia and Telefónica) are members of ICANN's Business Constituency. dotMobi signed its contract with ICANN in July 2005 and began operations in May 2006.

dotMobi intends to implement IDNs some time in the future.

............................................................................ Chun Eung Hwi

1. Current vocation, employer and position
General Secretary of PeaceNet Korea, Non-profit organization
Advisory Committee Member for Addressing Policies in Ministry of
Information & Communication

2. Type of work performed in 1 above
Public interest advocacy activities particularly for Internet related issues

3.  Financial ownership or management leadership of registries,
registrars or other firms that are interested parties in IDNs.
Not at all

4. Type of commercial interest in IDNs.
Nothing
Cary Karp

I am Director of Internet Strategy and Technology at the Swedish
Museum of Natural History (NRM), an agency of the Swedish government.
This is a full-time salaried position.

I serve in a similar capacity for the International Council of Museums
(ICOM) of which I am an individual member and NRM is an institutional
member. I receive a small additional honorarium for that activity.

I hold a non-remunerated position as the President and CEO of the
Museum Domain Management Association (MuseDoma), the Sponsoring
Organization for the .museum TLD.

NRM is the largest museum in Sweden and charged with advising private
and corporate entities in that country in matters relating to its
sphere of expertise. I am regularly involved in such action. Current
activity includes a joint initiative with NIC-SE, the operator of the
.se ccTLD, which is collaborating with NRM in a project in the context
of the Swedish national "Year of Cultural Diversity 2006". I also
advise NIC-SE in general matters relating to IDN.

I may from time to time receive separate honoraria for advisory
services provided as a result of my position at NRM, and may be
similarly compensated for writing and speaking engagements.

ICOM is an NGO maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having
consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social
Council. I am directly involved in activity conducted by ICOM in its
relationship with UNESCO.

I represent MuseDoma in the gTLD Registry Constituency and am the
elected representative for the sTLDs on the GNSO Council.

I conduct no other activity with, and have no other interests of any
kind that involve, entities maintaining business or contractual
relationships with ICANN.

Statement of Interest of Yoav Keren

I am the CEO and Co-founder of Domain The Net Technologies Ltd (DTNT),
an ICANN accredited registrar. DTNT is the leading domain name registrar
in Israel. DTNT provides registration services and Digital Brand
Security solutions to all the leading ISPs in Israel and to many leading
companies from different industries - High-Tech, Communication, Banking,
Food, etc.

We in DTNT believe that IDN's will make the Internet more accessible to
those parts of the society that still cannot enjoy it, and will allow
the cultural expression for the communities whose native language is not
English.

DTNT launched Hebrew IDNs in Israel on December 2000. Since then, I have
been involved in the development of IDNs within ICANN, WSIS and ITU. I
was appointed by the Director General of Israel's Ministry of
Communications to represent Israel regarding Hebrew IDN's within ICANN.
I am a member of the Registrars Constituency, and was elected to
represent the constituency in the ICANN President's Advisory Committee
for IDNs (the IDN PAC), and I also represent the registrars constituency
in the GNSO IDN WG.

DTNT has interest in IDNs, and intends to apply for IDN TLDs.
Norbert Klein

    1. Current vocation, employer and position
Associate of the Open Institute of Cambodia, a Cambodian NGO, heavily
involved in the creating of UNICODE based localized Open Source software
in the Khmer language
http://www.khmeros.info
In addition, I am editing a regular review of the Cambodian language
press - in English.

2. Type of work performed in 1 above
Policy advice, public advocacy for the introduction and promotion of
this Open Source software, in close coordination with the government
agency in charge: National Information Technology Development Authority
http://www.nida.gov.kh

3. Financial ownership or management leadership of registries,
registrars or other firms that are interested parties in IDNs.

No involvement - but the Open Institute - as a not-for-profit NGO, is
strongly committed to promote the national language on computers - which
may lead to later active involvement with IDN in Cambodia

4. Type of commercial interest in IDNs.
None - see above.
Maggie Mansourkia

I am Chief Privacy Counsel and Assistant General Counsel for Verizon
Communications, a leading communications provider.  In this role, I am
responsible for leading all legal and compliance matters related to
Verizon's global privacy program and its wholly owned subsidiaries.  I
also provide policy counsel to my company on a variety of Internet and
technology issues including advocacy through ICANN.   I have no
financial ownership in or relation to registries or registrars.  As a
Tier one network provider and commercial user of domain names, Verizon
will be involved in the implementation of IDN frameworks for our global
customer base.   As a native Farsi (Iranian) speaker, I have a strong
personal interest in implementation of IDNs, but have no commercial
interest.
Will Rodger

As Director of Public Policy for CCIA, I have no financial ownership nor
direct relation to registries, registrars or other firms that are
interested parties in IDNs. One of our members, Yahoo!, does deal in
domain-name registration through a relationship with Melbourne IT. To my
knowledge, no other CCIA member has such an interest.
I'm Will Rodger, Director Public Policy at the Computer & Communications
Industry Association in Washington DC

We represent a wide variety of high tech companies that, like us,
believe in open markets, open systems and open networks. Members include
Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, Verizon and Fujitsu. Total sales of member
companies exceed $200 billion yearly.

We are committed to balanced IP policy, freedom of expression and
protection of legal rights online and off. We believe that the Internet
prospers precisely because it is decentralized and, generally speaking,
free of government regulation. Like all new technologies, the Internet
has disrupted old business models and empowered new ones. The Internet
is and should remain the freest of markets.
 June Seo
I am an employee of VeriSign, Inc., which provides certain domain
registration services (through its subsidiaries) for a number of
top-level domains, including the following: .com; .net; .jobs; .cc; .tv.

In my personal capacity I have less than 5% of my net worth invested in
companies that are involved in registration services for top level domains.

To the best of my knowledge, I have no ownership interest in any entity
that currently has business before the GNSO or ICANN, other than as
described above.

Charles Shaban

Further to my statement, Abu-Ghazaleh Intellectual Property (AGIP)
whom I manage its regional office is a member of a big group with
around 18 firms in professional services (consulting, auditing,
IT...) one of them is an ICANN accredited registrar (TAGIDomains).
 Shahram Soboutipour

the founder of Karmania Media, and now the president and CEO of the company.

 Karmania Media was established on 2001 as an IT company mainly working
on software development and web related services.

One of the main fields of our interest was Domain Names, in which our
company played an excellent rule in its business and has been one of the
largest resellers in the country (we currently cover more than 95% of
the market share in south eastern of Iran).

From 2003 our cooperation with IRNIC (the registry of .ir ccTLD of
Iran) went to a new stage, and at the same time we had a team arranged
just to work on Persian domains based on the international standards,
but what we mainly focused was the relation between technology and
business in this field.

At Karmania Media we believe that a technology can be successful, just
when its business can be. So I put my efforts aimed on 2 items:

   1. I have been working more on the behavior of the market, and its
affects on the technology. (Our work on registration user interfaces is
now going on and is at a good situation). So I am now familiar with the
needs of local markets on domain business, including users’ ideas and
needs, and the way every decision made on higher organizations (e.g.
ICANN) affects the market.
   2. More specific work on the RTL issues and Persian TLDs. Its
restrictions, also related topics in UNICODE and the Iranian national
rules of WRITING (cultural aspects), and some very important issues on
the graphic of written words in Persian (there are many little items
that must be noticed in decision making).

Regarding my participation in IDN WG, I want to use all my power and
knowledge to help establishment of a global stable infrastructure for
IDNs which can be used for all nations and all related local needs have
been discussed.
Statement of Interest of Alexei Sozonov

Let me introduce myself and my partner  in this statement of interest
for  joining BC GNSO IDN WG.
I'm Alexei Sozonov, co-founder and VP of Regtime.net, the largest
private  registrar in Russia, will represent myself and Mr. Sergey
Sharikov, - one of key Board member of http://cctld.ru Russian
ccTLD Administrator body (.RU - one of the world's largest ICANN ascii
cctTLDs), as well as co-founder  and CEO of Regtime.net.

Regtime of Russia ( Est. 2000) is the largest independent private domain
name reseller of ICANN domains in Russia (.com, .ru and .info etc.)
and for many years the fastest growing one. Regtime is ICANN accredited
registrar.

We've been selling some 17 different gtlds and cctlds for many years.
We've been attending ICANN meetings since 2000.
Our company is a joint venture with the Russian Chamber of Commerce
which  today is headed by Former Prime Minister of Russia - Primakov.
With our expertise we have an advisory power for the President's
Administration and the Government .
As a language group we have Russian - Cyrillic script speaking  >150
Million population.

In particular we feel qualified to assist in Russian Cyrillic issues in
GNSO IDN Working Group and would be happy to serve this role.

WERNER STAUB
statement of interest for the GNSO IDN WG:

I work for CORE Internet Council of Registrars as Coordinator of the
Permanent Secretariat. CORE is an international not-for-profit
association of registrars. I am a principal of Axone Services &
Développement SA, one of several CORE members that also act as service
providers to the association.

CORE operates a pool of IT resources for member registrars and is
accredited as a registrar with ICANN. CORE also operates Shared Registry
Systems for .cat  and .museum TLDs, on behalf of the respective
sponsoring organizations.

In the context of new TLDs, including IDN TLDs, CORE expects to make
services available to future sponsoring or charter organizations of new
TLDs, to propose other future TLDs as a registry, and to operate
cooperative systems that facilitate access to registration in most TLDs.

CORE has specifically been chartered in 1997 for the purpose of
promoting the responsible and controlled introduction of new TLDs and
their community-based or cooperative management in the public trust.

William Tan
I lead the IDN techno-policy efforts at NeuStar, Inc. NeuStar is a
neutral third party provider to the telecommunication industry. NeuStar
acts as the global Registry for the .BIZ and .US TLDs and gateways for
CN and TW. NeuStar also provides back end registry operations for
.TRAVEL. We currently support IDN registrations within .BIZ for 6
languages: Danish, German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Spanish, and Swedish.
In the near future, we will also support Japanese and Chinese (with
bundling support) in the registry.

NeuStar is committed to promoting equal access to the Internet across
all languages, cultures and regions. We would be interested to
participate in operating the back end registry for new IDN TLDs.

My involvement with IDN and Unicode dates back to 2001 through
participation in the IETF IDN WG, application development of Mozilla IDN
support and ISC EchIDNA, as well as the evangelization of IDNs by
creating IDNSearch.net. The eventual success of IDNs to break down
language and cultural barriers is a primary, personal goal of mine.

I am not affiliated with any other registry or ICANN-Accredited Registrar.
Hong Xue
I am the liaison from ICANN's At-Large Advisory Committee (ALAC). I'm a
full professor of law in China University of Political Science and Law,
which is in Beijing, China. In the academic year of 2006-2007, I'm
a visiting fellow of Information Society Project, Yale University, New
Haven, CT, USA. In above positions, I'm doing teaching and research works.
My publications on IDN issues include: "The Voice of China: A Story of
Chinese Character Domain Names"( New York:Cardozo Journal of International
Comparative Law, Vol. 12, No. 2, Fall 2004, P. 559-592) and "Territorialism
versus Universalism: International Intellectual Property Law in the
Internationalized Domain Name System"(Oxford: the Journal of World
Intellectual Property, 2006, 9: 1-24).

I don't have any financial or management connection with any registry, registrar or other firm that is interested parties in IDNs. I have no any type of commercial interest in IDNs. ................................................................................... -- Glen de Saint Géry GNSO Secretariat - ICANN gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org http://gnso.icann.org