ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] A possible fix?

  • To: "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] A possible fix?
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:44:26 +0000

Hi folks.  Hope no one was discouraged following todays call.  These things are
very difficult (if they weren't anyone could do them)...but not impossible!

So thinking a bit more, I believe we can address some of these issues by
requiring two practices:

(1) Registrars must take two WHOIS "snapshots":  One to obtain the FOA, and one
at Transfer execution.
(2) Registries must "lock" (ServerUpdateProhibited,
ServerTransferProhibited,ServerDeleteProhibited) on all names known to be
subject to a UDRP or TDRP.

Reasoning:  By comparing the WHOIS record at both occasions, the Gaining
Registrar can spot any differences in Registrant data or Domain Status. This
will provide the necessary visibility to invalidate the FOA and re-authorize
the transfer.

Thoughts?

J.