ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] RE: Save the Date: IRTP-C Teleconference

  • To: Caitlin Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx>, Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leticia Castillo <leticia.castillo@xxxxxxxxx>, gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Batteiger, Simonetta" <simonetta@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] RE: Save the Date: IRTP-C Teleconference
  • From: Arthur Zonnenberg <azonnenberg@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 15:44:16 +0200 (CEST)

the next conference:
- I am aware of the original report;
- I advise to use clear language for implementation, to avoid miscommunication
based on wording. IRTP-C simply is not a "Change of Registrant" policy anymore
the minute the PDP decided to include a change of e-mail address, which industry
wide and stand is known as a "contact update" , originating from the RFC5730 EPP
standard.

Although contact create and domain update are also used via EPP, most registrar
price lists clearly distinguish a change of registrant price versus a change of
contact information price. This distinction is in my experience also regularly
communicated to end users.

Since we were discussing definitions 1.b), that includes the definition of the
name given to the policy itself. So either we forbid discussions of the
definitions or we change it to something that can be implemented or communicated
clearly.

Alternatively we can call it a "Change of Control" Policy, with the burden of
explaining that to end users (not too dissimilar from the IRTP in general). In
any case "Change of Registrant" or "Change of Registrant Information" is
incomplete since we apply it to e-mail and admin-c as well and therefore
confusing.

I therefore call on the group to include change of control policy metrics, for
example about the policy being complained about as confusing in communication
(point above), or about changes of registrant/control being failed or abandoned,
measuring its effectiveness (see my other comment in the document). We have
currently have no data to check whether this policy to be implemented will
actually succeed in the majority of user cases in practice. If this is beyond
the scope of IRTP-C policy, it will need to be addressed by the to be accepted
IRTP-D policy. Or are there alternatives for checking the effect of what we are
doing?

Met vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Arthur Zonnenberg
Product Manager