ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

RE: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Outstanding Issue from today's IRT Call (email/account holder)

  • To: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Outstanding Issue from today's IRT Call (email/account holder)
  • From: Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 14:43:21 +0000

Both emails came through ..

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions
Hosting & Colocation, Domains
http://www.blacknight.host/
http://blog.blacknight.com/
http://www.blacknight.press/
http://www.technology.ie/
Intl. +353 (0) 59  9183072
Direct Dial: +353 (0)59 9183090
Social: http://mneylon.social
-------------------------------

From: owner-gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2014 8:55 AM
To: gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Outstanding Issue from today's IRT Call
(email/account holder)

i'm having a sinking feeling that i'm not subscribed to the list, so this is
just a repeat of the note i sent a minute ago.  pls ignore...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Mike O'Connor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxx>>
(email/account holder)
Date: December 20, 2014 at 7:41:35 AM CST
To: Mike O'Connor <mike@xxxxxxxxxx<mailto:mike@xxxxxxxxxx>>
Cc: "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>"
<gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>>, Caitlin
Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx>>

i finally circled back to this and realized that i wrote language that is
almost as flawed as the original.

basically, this is a use case and i'm not sure actual policy language is
required - since we didn't specify how the exchange of credentials was
accomplished. since this customer is doing both sides of the transaction within
the same registrar, it seems to me that the "independently verifiable" angle
kicks in. here is what i propose

3.4 In the case where an Account Holder wishes to update an email address they
can no longer access and thus cause a Change of Registrant, the exchange of the
Change of Registrant Credential as described in section 3.2 must be transacted
and validated through other verifiable means.

change of registrant does NOT include change of registrar (that's the whole
underlying point of splitting these processes apart) - so their registrar can
develop whatever processes that are needed to facilitate the exchange of
credentials.  clearly email as the medium of exchange won't work in this use
case, something else will be needed instead.  but registrars already have
processes that they use to verify people's identity when email isn't available
(Simonetta rattled a few off on the call but i've forgotten what they were).
isn't that all that's required?

On Dec 12, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Mike O'Connor