ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Reminder: Comments on Change of Registrant/Transfer Policy - due Thursday 12 March

  • To: Caitlin Tubergen <caitlin.tubergen@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] Reminder: Comments on Change of Registrant/Transfer Policy - due Thursday 12 March
  • From: "James M. Bladel" <jbladel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 19:51:25 +0000

Hi Caitlin and Team:

First, I should apologize for missing the last 2 calls.  I have had frequent
schedule conflicts with this group, including an "off the grid" vacation last
week.  So please accept my apologies if these edits/comments appear to be "last
minute".

Next, I have noted a few changes to this draft (attached).  Here are the
highlights:

  *   I think we should call Section II. "Inter-Registrant Transfer (Change of
Registrant)" to keep it consistent with Section I. "Inter-Registrar Transfer".
  *   Also, I think we should allow for non-material changes to Registrant
information to include "equivalent" data, such as changing "Inc." to
"Incorporated" or "Mike" to "Michael."  I welcome ideas form the group on how
to define this (or set some boundaries).
  *   I'm still unclear whehter or not the Registrar has the right to refuse a
Change of Registrant.  What if there is some reason that the Registrar cannot
legally serve or enter in to an agreement with the new Registrant? For example,
in the US we cannot serve Registrants in Cuba or North Korea.  Similarly, the
US and several other nations have levied sanctions against individuals and
organizations in Crimea. I would hate to see this policy used as a backdoor to
compel Registrars to violate local law. Finally, there is the case where a
Registrar has simply banned a particular Registrant from using their services.
This right to refuse service should be maintained in the new policy.
  *   Speaking of the Registration Agreement, I do not see where in the Draft
Process (Sec. II(3)) where the Registrar presents this agreement to the new
Registrant, and obtain their explicit acceptance. This is required buy the RAA
(Sec. 3.7.7).

Thanks-

J.