ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt]

[gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] IRTPC CORP and spam reduction measurements.

  • To: gnso-impl-irtpc-rt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-impl-irtpc-rt] IRTPC CORP and spam reduction measurements.
  • From: Theo Geurts <theo.geurts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 21:18:12 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I think we need to take a few steps back when it comes to the drafted language
here when it comes to the change of registrant procedure, unless i am proven
wrong.

There are several registrars that offer spam reduction measurements by having a
unique email address listed in the whois, usually in conjuction with the domain
name that gets changed when there is a whois lookup or set a certain interval.
This service is not only related to P/P services but also offered as a paid or
non paid service to reduce spam by Registrars.

If a change of the email address remains a material change then we are actually
throwing above services under the bus here, or at a bare minimum create alot of
overhead for the registrants and there is potential abuse lying around the
corner. Personally i would not be able to sell an ICANN policy that plays into
the hands of spammers and potentially increases spam. That would look very bad
in my eyes and some folks would love to spin this and it will not be in favor
of ICANN and the WG.

Few options here to address the issue.
option.

Or throw some services under the bus that we know that are out there with the
risk of throwing other services under the bus we did not identify yet, but
heavilly rely on changing the email address for certain reasons or other data
that is considered a material change. Full disclosure, the Registrar i work for
does offer any of those services.

Or remove the entire exchange of credentials part and go for a notification
only procedure if there is a material change. This was discussed in December
last year and i had the impression that was in scope of the recommendations of
the WG. This would be in my opinion the best move and then we addressed alot of
comments and we should be able to wrap this one up real quick as the rest of
the policy is fine and mostly issue free.

The above solution would also address the designated agent potential issues, I
have not dived into that one, but I am sure we will run into issues with that
one and lose alot of time again as parts need to be re-written.

Thoughts ?

Theo Geurts

Realtime Register B.V.

Ceintuurbaan 32A