ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] moving thick registries across the board

  • To: <Gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] moving thick registries across the board
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 10:14:07 -0500

in the spirit of Paul's request that we submit email to the list with some of our ideas, here's one that i brought up on the call today.

as we were discussing our first question ("Whether there could be a way for registrars to make Registrant Email Address data available to one another. Currently there is no way of automating approval from the Registrant, as the Registrant Email Address is not a required field in the registrar Whois. This slows down and/or complicates the process for registrants, especially since the Registrant can overrule the Admin Contact.") i raised a question as to whether this question might be rendered moot if registries were all "thick registries" (maintaining full information about the domain).

we agreed that this was an issue that;

- has been discussed before
- is outside our scope
- would probably require a different project to figure out

but i think it's worth noting nonetheless.

one approach might be to encourage a separate process to develop a preliminary justification of such a move. we noted on the call that this is not the only issue associated with the thick/thin registry conversation -- it might be helpful to pull a list of those issues together. we also noted that some of the reasons for maintaining thin registries may now be moot as well, and deserving of another look. and finally, there may be a justification which show how all parties benefit from such a move.

i don't have a really strong feeling about this -- unless we find that we're tying ourselves in knots trying to craft a solution that sidesteps this issue. at that point, we may want to take another look at it.

thanks,

mikey