ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08]

[gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] highlights of the process-flow call today

  • To: "'IRTP-A '" <Gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-irtp-pdp-jun08] highlights of the process-flow call today
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 12:42:38 -0500

Hi all,

Here's my attempt to summarize the conversation we had today. *Very* interesting and informative.

-- Process flow diagrams

Many thanks to Marika for pulling together several examples of transfer process-flow diagrams. I started a page on the wiki and posted them there;

https://st.icann.org/irtp_jun08_pdp-wg/index.cgi?process_diagrams

-- Customer-facing vs back-office process flows

We realized that there is a difference between the process that's presented to customers and the actual activity behind the scenes. We agreed that it would be helpful to find a few examples of the back-office processes, if they can be obtained without divulging the secret sauce of a registrar. Several folks have agreed to go off and see what they can come up with.

-- Thick-registry and thin-registry back office processes are different - WHOIS vs EPP

We discovered that there are really two different kinds of back-office processes at work. In the case of a thin registry (one that doesn't maintain any registrant information) the back-office processes rely on WHOIS as the vehicle to share information between gaining and losing registrars. We think (and are verifying) that WHOIS is *not* used in thick registries -- in that case the glue between the two registrars is the registry's EPP-based system.

-- There is substantial variation in both customer-facing and back-office processes

We note that there are differences between registry processes (especially in the ccTLDs) and their implementations of EPP.

We note that the WHOIS implementations vary between registrars (e.g. differences in the way that throttling is applied to WHOIS)

We explored the difference in "customer" terminology in the customer-facing flows that we looked at -- there are varying references to "customer", "administrative contact", "registrant", "user" etc. There's the possibility that confusion will arise (although we didn't agree on this point).

-- There may be a "fork" in our discussion about sharing email addresses

We are tentatively thinking that the issue of sharing registrant email address may be moot in the case of a thick registry, because EPP-based systems already have automation in place to do this. The issue may only apply to thin registries, which imply that registrars have to rely on WHOIS queries to share this kind of information. Several of us are off finding out more about this.

A great time was had by all.

Thanks!

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356