ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-lockpdp-wg]

[gnso-lockpdp-wg] Feedback

  • To: "Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-lockpdp-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-lockpdp-wg] Feedback
  • From: Luc SEUFER <lseufer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 19:25:14 +0000

Dear  “Co-Workers”,

Before we all dive into this Working Group charter per se, I would be very
interested in hearing your point of view on the following. Considering, we may
not amend the UDRP Policy nor the UDRP rules in any way at this point.
(http://gnso.icann.org/resolutions/#201112)

How do you fathom a “sub-policy” on locking domain names subject to UDRP
proceedings, which will have to abide by the following provisions?

First, do you believe that the Lock should be applied upon submission of the
complaint, at a stage where the UDRP Provider has not reviewed the complaint
for administrative compliancy? And where such lock may potentially harm the
Registrant? (and especially render the Registrar liable for bereaving the
Registrant of its rights on their registration)

As the payment of the arbitration fee is not required at this stage, any
ill-intentioned party could obtain the Lock of a Domain Name by just submitting
a complaint no matter its legitimacy.

1. 4.Notification of Complaint
(a) The Provider shall review the complaint for administrative compliance with
the Policy and these Rules and, if in compliance, shall forward the complaint,
including any annexes, electronically to the Respondent and shall send Written
Notice of the complaint (together with the explanatory cover sheet prescribed
by the Provider's Supplemental Rules) to the Respondent, in the manner
prescribed by Paragraph 2(a), within three (3) calendar days following receipt
of the fees to be paid by the Complainant in accordance with Paragraph 19.
(b)
If the Provider finds the complaint to be administratively deficient, it shall
promptly notify the Complainant and the Respondent of the nature of the
deficiencies identified. The Complainant shall have five (5) calendar days
within which to correct any such deficiencies, after which the administrative
proceeding will be deemed withdrawn without prejudice to submission of a
different complaint by Complainant.
(c) The date of commencement of the
administrative proceeding shall be the date on which the Provider completes its
responsibilities under Paragraph 2(a) in connection with sending the complaint
to the Respondent.
(d) The Provider shall immediately notify the Complainant,
the Respondent, the concerned Registrar(s), and ICANN of the date of
commencement of the administrative proceeding.

Furthermore, the Registrant details may be updated during the whole
administrative proceeding stage:

2. Communications

(e) Either Party may update its contact details by notifying the Provider and
the Registrar.

And then during the dispute:

8. Transfers During a Dispute.
a. Transfers of a Domain Name to a New Holder. You may not transfer your domain
name registration to another holder (i) during a pending administrative
proceeding brought pursuant to Paragraph 4 or for a period of fifteen (15)
business days (as observed in the location of our principal place of business)
after such proceeding is concluded; or (ii) during a pending court proceeding
or arbitration commenced regarding your domain name unless the party to whom
the domain name registration is being transferred agrees, in writing, to be
bound by the decision of the court or arbitrator. We reserve the right to
cancel any transfer of a domain name registration to another holder that is
made in violation of this subparagraph.

b. Changing Registrars. You may not transfer your domain name registration to
another registrar during a pending administrative proceeding brought pursuant
to Paragraph 4 or for a period of fifteen (15) business days (as observed in
the location of our principal place of business) after such proceeding is
concluded. You may transfer administration of your domain name registration to
another registrar during a pending court action or arbitration, provided that
the domain name you have registered with us shall continue to be subject to the
proceedings commenced against you in accordance with the terms of this Policy.
In the event that you transfer a domain name registration to us during the
pendency of a court action or arbitration, such dispute shall remain subject to
the domain name dispute policy of the registrar from which the domain name
registration was transferred.

(http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/policy and
http://www.icann.org/en/help/dndr/udrp/rules)

As much as I understand the need for a clear and secure process for locking
domain names during the UDRP proceedings, I am also aware we will have to
conjugate this need with the above - which in my opinion diminish the
efficiency of any locking measures- and I am not sure how.

Thanks for your time and feedback.

Best Wishes,

Luc

This e-mail and any attached files are confidential and intended solely for the
use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender immediately and
delete it from your system. You must not copy the message or disclose its
contents to anyone.

Think of the environment: don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.