ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-metrep-wg]

Re: [gnso-metrep-wg] A possible case study

  • To: Pam Little <pam.little12@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-metrep-wg] A possible case study
  • From: Theo Geurts <theo.geurts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 10:14:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Pam,

Not sure if any data was used, though the Registrar group did warn ICANN and
the LEA's way in advance and frankly it didn't require any rocket science to
predict the current evolving trainwreck. What we have not seen are the lawsuits
from Registrants (no doubt they will come).

- For years people are being instructed to ignore requests from parties that
they have no knowledge about.
- Email providers like gmail, yahoo etc mark these emails as spam.
- Registrants have barely any knowledge about domain names, ICANN, Registrars
are vague terms for Registrants.

When it comes to metrics regarding this issue, the ball is now in the LEA's
corner.
Metric wise we now know that the verification places a huge burden on
registrants and registrars and legit websites are being knocked off the
internet.

What we do not know is how many lives have been saved and how many crimes have
been solved due to the this verification.
As Fadi mentioned in Durban, the LEA's will have to come up with the info here
and we will perhaps see those metrics at ICANN 50.

Regards,

Theo Geurts