ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] Latest Draft Version of OSC Charter

  • To: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chuck Gomes <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] Latest Draft Version of OSC Charter
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:58:32 -0800

Dear Robin and Chuck:

As the community embarks on a detailed discussion of GNSO Improvements
implementation issues, there are quite a few open matters to be discussed and
debated - particularly within the context of the OSC.  I have taken the
opportunity provided by Chuck's invitation yesterday to share some personal
observations about the matters referenced in your correspondence over the past
24 hours regarding the relationship between stakeholders and constituency
structures in the GNSO. I have not run these specific thoughts by Denise and
Roberto but I believe they are supported by specific textual references below.
This note is fairly long because I think the issues raised by Robin's proposed
edits merited a fair treatment.  I hope that it provides some useful fodder for
future conversations within the OSC.

In many areas the Board has been pretty specific regarding its intentions.  In
others there is a lot of room for flexibility and different implementation
approaches. I anticipate that the OSC and its work teams will need to refer
quite often to the 3 February BGC Report on GNSO Improvements adopted by the
Board in Paris for insights and guidance.  I have included a couple of slices
from that document below that may be germane to your present correspondence.
They highlight the significant amount of overlap that faces the community on
many of the implementation issues that need to be addressed. I think all
members of the OSC may find it helpful to review pages 27 to 49 of the BGC
Report (which can be found here -
http://www.icann.org/topics/gnso-improvements/gnso-improvements-report-03feb08.pdf
 ) as they consider the OSC Charter and the development of guidance for the
various OSC work teams.

Recognizing Differences:

As a way forward on the proposed OSC charter language regarding stakeholder
groups and constituencies, may I suggest that you consider accepting the
concept provided in the first part of Robin's proposed language "while
recognizing that differences exist between stakeholder groups" and expand the
concept by adding the words "and constituencies."  Robin's suggestion is a
helpful reminder that the BGC Report did not anticipate a cookie cutter
approach for structures in the "improved' GNSO and specifically noted the
importance of maintaining a measure of constituency independence and diversity.
 At the same time, the BGC Report expects that there must be some consistency
and commonality across different GNSO structures. The following BGC Report text
spanning pages 42 and 43 is very instructive on the matter:

"ICANN is currently engaged in a series of initiatives aimed at further
improving levels of
accountability and transparency throughout the organization. The GNSO Council
and the
GNSO constituencies, like all of ICANN's structures, need to ensure that all of
their
processes adhere to the highest standards. The reviews of the GNSO suggest that
there is
a need for greater transparency within constituencies and greater consistency
across
constituency structures. The constituencies should take the lead in formulating
common
operating principles, with participation from the Council and staff. Within
certain broad
and important guidelines, there can still be room for innovation and
differentiation in the
detailed procedures developed by each constituency that best meet the needs of
that
constituency." (emphasis added)

The document continues on page 43:

"In addition, the GNSO constituencies, with Council and staff participation,
should
develop clear operating principles for each constituency to ensure that all
constituencies
function in a representative, open, transparent and democratic manner. Operating
procedures adopted by constituencies should reflect common principles and
follow these guidelines:

o Mailing and discussion lists should be open and publicly archived (with
posting rights
limited to members).
o Procedures for developing policy positions should be clear. There should also
be
publicly available information about how many participants from each
constituency
were involved in the development of any policy position.
o Constituency processes should encourage participation from stakeholders
across the
globe. Where possible, relevant documents should be made available in multiple
languages.
o There should be term limits for constituency officers, so as to help attract
new
members and provide everyone with the chance to participate in leadership
positions.
o There should be an emphasis on reaching consensus to achieve objectives and
closure
on issues." (emphasis added)

That latter passage above seems to emphasize the importance of creating a level
playing field that applies to all constituencies and identifies a significant
role for all constituencies in that ongoing effort.  The BGC Report seems to
expect that some consistent guidelines and operating practices be established
to ensure that all community members can be assured that all GNSO structures
operate in an open, transparent and fair manner.

The Respective Roles of Constituencies and Stakeholder Groups:

Acknowledging Chuck's concern, I would also suggest that you consider not
accepting the second half of Robin's suggested edit, "that stakeholder groups
are primarily responsible for establishing their own constituencies."  At best
the BGC Report is unclear on that issue.  It seems evident from the passage
above that, for the time being, constituencies remain a fundamental element of
the GNSO structure.

That status may indeed change over time and may depend on some of the decisions
that are reached by the work teams. The following language spanning pages 32
and 33 of the BGC report sheds some additional light on this matter:

"The proposal to create four broad Stakeholder Groups bears some similarity to
Recommendation #19 of the [London School of Economics] LSE Review, which
suggested creating three larger constituency groups representing registration
interests, business and civil society.  The LSE suggested such a reorganization
to respond to "multiple pieces of evidence about how interests are currently
organizing themselves within the GNSO" (see LSE Review,
Section 4.35). It sought to propose a structure that is "simpler, balanced,
clearer to
explain to potential members and time-proofed against future changes in the
Internet that
are certain to occur." Instead of a rigid structure that can have difficulty
adapting to
changes "over as little as seven years," a new structure could "flexibly
accommodate
changes in the balance and weights of different sectors and types of
involvement with
Internet policy issues."

We agree with this conclusion and support the need for a new way to approach
organization of the Council. The stakeholder groups may function only as a
"caucus,"
bringing together like-minded stakeholders to elect representatives to the
Council who
can represent them. This structure would be fluid enough to accommodate new
constituencies or the formation of new interest groups. It will be important
for the
implementation team to consider how to implement this flexibility within the
overall
stakeholder structure set forth in these recommendations. Our goal is
definitely not to
create a new layer of bureaucracy, as we heard concerns about at the San Juan
Meeting.
Alternatively, if the GNSO believes it is desirable, the four stakeholder
groups could take
on additional functions, such as trying to coordinate and document positions on
policy
development questions.

One advantage of this new model for organizing stakeholder participation is to
remove
concern that the addition of new constituencies or interest groups could create
an internal
imbalance in the current composition of the Council. By creating four broad
stakeholder
groups, the number of constituencies is less important and can increase (or
decrease) with time. Indeed, it would be inconsistent with ICANN's processes to
try to limit arbitrarily the number of constituencies that people could
self-form. Making it easier to form a new constituency can also address any
obstacles people perceive in joining existing
constituencies. Overall, this approach can encourage the participation of more
people in
the GNSO. Many details, of course, remain to be worked out concerning the new
stakeholder structure for the Council, including the role of constituencies
and/or interest
groups within them. As noted earlier, we welcome the GNSO working with Staff to
develop the appropriate Implementation Plan."

There is a lot to absorb in the four paragraphs above - including the
alternative visions of both more and less bureaucracy at the Stakeholder Group
level, the concept of constituency independence and a clear recognition of
constituency self-formation. All matters that will undoubtedly prompt lively
and interesting conversation in the work team deliberations.

I hope this note has provided some useful background and context for further
deliberations and discussion among OSC members on these and other matters.

Best,

Rob Hoggarth

424.558.4805