ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] Public Comment: Revised Conflicts of Interest Policy

  • To: "'Glen de Saint Géry'" <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] Public Comment: Revised Conflicts of Interest Policy
  • From: "Vanda Scartezini" <vanda@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 16:04:30 -0300

Dear all

 As former responsible for  Conflict of Interest Committee,  I would like to
share some thoughts about it, considering post JPA era.

 The CoI is, of course, based on California Law  and it means this framework
is much less restrictive than those under roman legal framework. Some clear
conflicts of interest under roman framework as "people with a peculiar
interest and with a huge influence over other vote members", are not
consider under this proposal. This is just an example of potential conflict.

 We had some  issues to deal with in the past, then I understand we should
have a more wide perspective concerning CoI rules to be useful after JPA
when we will need to face our way to more international organization.

 Jus my 2 cents

Vanda Scartezini

POLO Consultores Associados

&  IT Trend

Alameda Santos 1470 cjs 1407/8

01418-903 Sao Paulo,SP.

Fone + 55 11 3266.6253

Mob + 5511 8181.1464

Public Comment: Revised Conflicts of Interest Policy

A new public comment period opens today on the revised Conflicts of Interest
Policy [PDF, 117K].

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/coi/coi-policy-06may09-en.pdf

Click here to go through to the public comment period (open until 5 June
2009).

http://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/public-comment-200906.html#coi

The ICANN Board initially adopted a Conflicts of Interest Policy on 4 March
1999, pursuant to ICANN Bylaws, Article V, Section 7, and Article VI,
Section 3(b).

The Board Governance Committee ("BGC") has responsibility for administration
of ICANN's Conflicts of Interest Policy. The Committee charter specifically
states that the BGC "shall periodically review the Conflicts of Interest
Policy and consider whether any modifications should be made to the policy
to improve its effectiveness." In furtherance of its role, the BGC has
reviewed and significantly revised the Conflicts of Interest Policy in order
to, among other things, remain current with legal disclosure requirements.

On 23 April 2009, the ICANN Board of Directors followed the BGC's
recommendation that the revised Conflicts of Interest Policy [PDF, 117K] be
posted for public comment.

http://www.icann.org/en/committees/coi/coi-policy-06may09-en.pdf

Glen de Saint Géry

GNSO Secretariat