ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] FW: GNSO Operating Procedures Final Drafts

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] FW: GNSO Operating Procedures Final Drafts
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:16:56 -0700

Chuck, thank you for circulating this.  I attach a mark-up with just a
few minor changes.  In addition I have some questions which may belong
in the "comment summary" rather than in the text at this point in the
process.

Section 3.5: many bodies provide for discussion to begin even before a
voting quorum arrives.  So is the first sentence necessary?

Section 4.1:  I note that this provision does not address how the Houses
nominate their candidates. Is this left up to the discretion of each
House, or is there a baseline which each must meet?

Section 5.1:  My suggested change is intended to reflect participation
via "electronic video screen communication" -- not sure what that is but
I assume it may not include live voice -- or by hearing-impaired Council
members.

same:  Is the second paragraph intended to allow for non-member
participation in teleconference meetings?  This has not generally been
allowed up to now.   Shouldn't that be on a listen-only basis?  Or does
this paragraph only apply to face to face meetings?

Section 5.2:   Why the change from 5 business days advance submission of
motions etc. to 8?  This could make it even more difficult for Council
to act quickly.

Section 5.3:  Unclear why the third and fourth sentences are included.

Section 5.4:  To repeat a concern that I raised at the time of the last
reorganization:  why should an abstention always count as a vote
against?  This is a problem particularly when a member must (or chooses
to)  abstain because of a conflict.  This rule makes it impossible for
the council member to manage the conflict, because s/he cannot avoid a
"no" vote.  An alternative would be for an abstention to count toward a
quorum but that percentages (thresholds) would be calculated based on
the number of non-abstaining voters.  Another is to make this rule
inapplicable to abstentions stimulated by conflict concerns (or more
precisely, when the member has interests that would be affected by
outcome of vote).

Section 7:  I gather the list of items subject to absentee balloting
reflects current procedures?  Why the limited list?

Other:  I understand there is an informal rule allowing any council
member to delay (until the next meeting) action on certain agenda items
the first time they appear on the agenda.  Shouldn't this rule be
formalized in the operating procedures (e.g., which items are or are not
subject to this procedure?  must a member give notice that s/he will
invoke this rule?  is invocation of the rule at consecutive meetings
always barred?  etc).

Steve Metalitz