ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

[gnso-osc] GNSO Operations Steering Committee Business

  • To: <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc] GNSO Operations Steering Committee Business
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 17:47:44 -0500

Please review the following OSC business and respond as requested.

Thanks, Chuck

Nairobi OSC Meeting

Note that a live OSC meeting has tentatively been scheduled for Sunday, 7 March
from 15:30-16:45 local time in Nairobi.  Hopefully, those who will not be in
Nairobi will be able to participate remotely.  Here are start times for various
other time zones:

04:30 PST (West Coast USA)

06:30 CST (Central USA)

07:30 EST (East Coast USA)

09:30 ART/BRT (Buenos Aires/Sao Paulo)

13:30 CET (Central Europe).

Call information will be sent later.

Here is a tentative agenda for the meeting:

1.      Roll call

2.      Review/edit agenda

3.      Election of new chair (if necessary)

4.      Working Teams

a.       GNSO Council Operations WT (GCOT)

                                       i.      Status Report

                                     ii.      Tentative Work Schedule

                                    iii.      OSC action items (if any)

b.      Constituency/Stakeholder Group WT (CSG WT)

                                       i.      Status Report

                                     ii.      Tentative Work Schedule

                                    iii.      OSC action items (if any)

c.       Communications & Coordination WT (CCT WT)

                                       i.      Status Report

                                     ii.      Tentative Work Schedule

                                    iii.      OSC action items (if any)

5.      Near Term OSC workload

6.      Other Business

Note that our agenda will need to be posted as soon as 15 February, so if there
are any suggested changes, they should be communicated before in the next 10 to
12 days.  Please share any comments, questions or suggested edits on this list.

OSC Chair

The issue of OSC chair was raised several months ago, in particular the concern
over the GNSO Council Chair also serving as the OSC Chair.  Stéphane
volunteered to serve as OSC Chair to alleviate the workload for Chuck.  Avri
communicated concerns about either the Council Chair or Vice Chairs serving as
a Steering Committee Chair because of the Steering Committees report to the
Council and hence to the Council Chair or Vice Chairs.  Chuck indicated that he
is more than willing to step down as OSC Chair as soon as we have a replacement
and encouraged discussion on the OSC list.

There was fairly limited discussion on this topic except as noted above.  It
would be helpful if other OSC members shared their thoughts about this issue.
I believe that Avri is correct that it would be preferable for the Council
Chair or Vice Chairs not to serve as OSC Chair.  To accomplish that, we need a
volunteer who is willing and able to serve as OSC chair.  To move this forward,
please respond on the OSC list to these questions as applicable:

*       Is anyone willing to volunteer to chair the OSC?
*       If Stéphane is the only volunteer, is anyone opposed to him taking over
the OSC Chair position?

If we can resolve this on the list, then item 3 of the proposed Nairobi OSC
Agenda may be removed.

Attendance in Nairobi

Please communicate whether you will be able to participate in the Nairobi OSC
meeting and if so whether you will do so in-person or remotely.