ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

Re: [gnso-osc] GCOT recommendations - SOI - adoption by October 31

  • To: gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-osc] GCOT recommendations - SOI - adoption by October 31
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:15:51 +0500

Hi,

While a member of the WT that is making these recommendations, I do want to
register a concern.

I understand the pressure to do this quickly. The WT proposed a policy, and the
OSC and Council both approved a policy that the majority of the community
hated, so we quickly rewrote the policy to try and fix it.

Good fix, perhaps.  We don't really know as we never gave the policy a chance
to be used and never gave people the time to learn something new.

But definitely  a bad policy process.

As time goes on, we will find other policy recommended by PPSC and OSC and
approved by the Council that at first do not fit very well - change is never
comfortable.  The urge to immediately roll back the changes is tempting, but I
believe unwise.

I certainly hope that if the OSC passes these on we do so explicitly stating
that this is not a precedent but an exception.

It is time for us to establish the New Process Oversight/Review WG that the
GNSO Council has started working on, but some inexplicable reason has been
delayed in finishing.  It is time for that group to come into existence and for
the OSC and PPSC to finish their work and blink out of existence.

a.