ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

RE: [gnso-osc] Revised Global Outreach Recommendations - for OSC adoption by October 31

  • To: "Ron Andruff" <randruff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-osc] Revised Global Outreach Recommendations - for OSC adoption by October 31
  • From: "Mason Cole" <masonc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:51:12 -0700

Philip, Ron and others -

Thanks for the new iteration of the recommendations.  In addition to
Ron's useful questions and comments, I would like to offer the
following:

1.      There is a clear message here that additional participation in
the GNSO should be encouraged; however, there's no statement I can find
relating to an end objective (even in the BGC summary).  Participation
seems to be encouraged for its own sake - an objective with which I
don't disagree, but I believe the OTF would be able to orient its work
much more quickly and efficiently if it were able to give participants a
tangible reason (a "what's in it for you") reason for participating.
Another way to look at it might be to consider an answer to the
question: We'll know the OTF is successful when what, specifically,
happens?
2.      Related to the above, I suggest it would be useful for the OTF
to consider metrics for, first, benchmarking and, second, measuring
progress against objectives for participation.  This would be very
useful in not only measuring its own success, but in reporting to the
community how the community's resources were expended and what results
were achieved due to those expenditures.

I don't mean this as critically as it may sound, but I am wary of the
sometimes tendency for various ICANN groups to expend resources without
a clearly defined objective or goal.  We should definitely encourage
participation but should guard against any tendency to meander.

Thanks -

Mason