ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

[gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2011 17:07:15 -0400

Chuck:

I would like to take a stab at providing my perspective since I worked
closely on these procedures while the GCOT's was active.  Rob and I have
discussed these matters today to ensure that our memories are
accurate/consistent on a number of points.

.         The concept of voting direction, as written in the GOP, is
provided by an appointing organization -- not any Councilor.  Because the
NCAs do not have an appointing organization (as defined in the GOP), we
recall that the GCOT Work Team (WT) left their decisions to conscience.
There is nothing in the procedures prohibiting the Council NCA from
accepting advice, counsel, or even direction from a House NCA, but it would
not be binding since the Council NCA was not appointed to the position by
that individual.  Theoretically, the Nominating Committee could give such an
instruction, but we recall that the GCOT WT did not believe that Committee
was in any position to act in such a capacity on a routine basis.

.         I believe that the language you cite in your note is from the
proposed modified GOP version offered by Philip.  Based upon OSC list
comments recently, my impression is that the committee's preference would be
to remove ALL voting direction from the official proxy procedures, subject
to being entirely and exclusively governed by the applicable SG/C Charter.
I don't know of any SG/C Charter that allows an individual Councilor to
"instruct" another Councilor how to vote whether via proxy or any other
procedure.  If one Councilor did "instruct" another regarding a vote, I
cannot imagine on what basis it would be binding.  Based on the recent OSC
list feedback, Staff is working on a second proposal, which we hope to
transmit shortly, that would eliminate all of the current constraints
regarding proxy voting and, instead, revert to whatever rules are contained
in the appointing organization's charter.  We hope that a focused and
limited set of amendments will eliminate the need for a more wide-ranging
set of changes that could create their own unintended consequences.

.         Multiple proxies.  We recall that the GCOT WT wanted to emphasize
the importance of attendance at formal Council meetings; moreover, there was
an interest in preserving the "one man, one vote" concept.  A proxy entitles
a Councilor to vote twice, especially if there is no binding direction being
provided.  Not incidentally, the absentee balloting procedure also went
through a similar discussion.  You will recall that the GOP now provides
only a few narrow motion types for absentee balloting and, again, the
intention was not to make absence an attractive or easy an option.  The GCOT
WT wanted to create flexible voting remedies for the incidental absence
situation, but was mindful to keep a focus on regular and consistent
attendance by Councilors.

.         The current GOP limit of one proxy per Council NCA follows the
same limitation that is true for each SG Councilor.  If, for example, the
RySG had two Councilors absent for a meeting (quorum rules notwithstanding),
the attending Councilor could still exercise only one proxy vote per motion.
The other absent Councilor votes would be recorded as "absent."

Staff welcomes Ray or any other GCOT WT members to correct or clarify our
collective memories on this topic. Of course, we are happy to try to answer
any additional questions you have on this topic.

Regards,

Ken Bour