ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-osc]

[gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures: Clarification

  • To: "'Gomes, Chuck'" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Philip Sheppard'" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, <gnso-osc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-osc] GNSO Council Proxy Procedures: Clarification
  • From: "Ken Bour" <ken.bour@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 13:15:03 -0400

Chuck:

I believe that we (me included) are using the same term in multiple ways
resulting in confusion and miscommunication.

"Voting Direction" (capitalized) is a defined remedy that is used in
situations when a Councilor faces a confliction situation which can be
avoided by asking the appointing organization for instruction how to vote.
This circumstance is probably quite rare, but it was included for the sake
of completeness.  This formal Voting Direction remedy does not apply to
absence situations.

We have also been applying the term "voting direction" (lower case) to Proxy
because the current rules require that the appointing organization must (a)
have an established voting position in advance and (b) direct its Councilor
how to vote.  For a planned absence, if the chosen remedy is Proxy, then the
above two rules would be followed, presumably, and "voting direction" would
occur; however, the instruction comes not from another Councilor, but the
appointing organization.  Other than the NCA case, the procedures do not
provide any option in which one Councilor can give a proxy to another
Councilor.  Only the appointing organization can decide (a) whether to
remedy an abstention condition (not required) and, if it is to be remedied,
(b) which remedy to exercise (e.g., Proxy or Temporary Alternate) as well as
the individual who will serve.

In another thread to Ray, you asked about unplanned absences, so I will
attempt to provide my understanding for that situation.  Paragraph 3.8.1(b)
covers the case of unplanned absence.  The only remedy that exists for these
circumstances is absentee balloting.  The reason is that, in order to
execute a Proxy or Temporary Alternate, the procedures "...must be completed
prior to the start of the GNSO Council meeting in which the vote will be
taken."  The GCOT recognized that it would be at the very least disruptive
to the Secretariat and the Council to attempt executing a voting remedy
while the meeting is in progress.  If an absence occurs suddenly, without
the opportunity to plan a remedy, and absentee balloting does not apply,
then the only remaining option available is to record "absent" for any votes
taken.  The GCOT did consider opening up the absentee balloting process to a
much wider list of motions, possibly even completely unconstrained; however,
the team ultimately decided that the procedures should not make it easier
for Councilors to be absent and still have their votes recorded.  Another
part of the rationale was that, if absentee balloting were exercised too
frequently, Council votes would have to wait 72 hours (or longer) in order
to know the final result.  That potential outcome was also considered
undesirable; as a result, the four narrow categories were retained for
absentee balloting.

Does that help?

Ken