ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] FW: Request for clarification - RySG comment on PEDNR Proposed Final Report

• To: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-pednr-dt] FW: Request for clarification - RySG comment on PEDNR Proposed Final Report
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:07:28 -0400

After reading the RySG comment, I now see that at least part of the problem is our use of the term "redemption" to apply to both the RGP and for "renewals" that happen during the auto-renew grace period. Indeed, the very name of the PDP used this terminology from the start. One of the suggestions that I am making on the overall report is to use "renewal" for the period preceding a formal delete.

Alan

At 08/05/2011 12:15 PM, Marika Konings wrote:
Dear All,

Following the WG's request for clarification in relation to the RySG comments on section 7, please find further input from the RySG attached.

With best regards,

Marika

From: "David W. Maher" <<mailto:dmaher@xxxxxxx>dmaher@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 09:08:15 -0700
To: Marika Konings <<mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: cher <<mailto:cherstubbs@xxxxxxx>cherstubbs@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Request for clarification - RySG comment on PEDNR Proposed Final Report

Dear Marika:
Attached is a memorandum prepared by the Registries Stakeholder Group responding to your request for clarification.
Please let me know if you need anything further on this.
David
David W. Maher
Chair. Registries Stakeholder Group
Senior Vice President - Law & Policy
Public Interest Registry
+1 312 375 4849

From: Marika Konings [<mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>mailto:marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 05, 2011 3:49 AM
To: David W. Maher
Subject: Request for clarification - RySG comment on PEDNR Proposed Final Report

Dear David,

The Post-Expiration Domain Name Recovery (PEDNR) Working Group has started to review the comments received as part of the public comment forum on its proposed Final Report. It would like to ask a clarification of the RySG on the comment below as, following review of the relevant section, the WG does not understand the RySG statement as it considers that section sufficiently clear. I would appreciate if you could provide me with any additional information you think might be helpful for the WG to understand the RySG's point of view on this particular section.

Thanks,

Marika

Section 7. Deliberations of the Working Group
"Charter Question 1: Whether adequate opportunity exists for registrants to redeem their expired domain names"
The report states the following:
" In the current situation, the registrar is generally immediately charged by the registry for the auto-renewal following expiration; those costs are recovered from the registrant if it redeems the registration or reimbursed if the registration is deleted during the Auto-Renew Grace Period. Some suggested that an option would be to review this practice and explore whether the registrycould absorb the costs, or whether another model could be explored. Others suggested that for registrars that do not delete the name early, a renewal grace period should always be offered to registrants."
RySG comment:
This statement implies that if the registration is deleted during the Auto-Renew Grace Period the registrar isabsorbing the extra costs from the auto-renewal charge following expiration. This should be clarified, because the registrar either (a) never charges the registrant in the first place, or (b) is reimbursed by the registry if the registrar deletes the domain during Auto-renew Grace Period and reimburses the registrant.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy