ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-pednr-dt]

[gnso-pednr-dt] Clarification from RySG

  • To: "gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-pednr-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-pednr-dt] Clarification from RySG
  • From: Marika Konings <marika.konings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2011 13:23:07 -0700

Dear All,

For your information, in relation to the WG's request for clarification of the
RySG comment (see below), I received the following feedback from David Maher:
“It appears that the RySG rep made the observation that adjustments to WHOIS
output might be feasible, and the RySG pointed out some practical issues
involved in such an endeavor. That is an observation, and it was valuable to
point out, and should probably stand as-is. Also looks like the “Working Group
felt that it was beyond its capabilities to address exactly how this should be
fixed.”  And the RySG didn’t recommend to the WG how to fix it, either. So the
question is whether the RySG made a recommendation, and  I think the reply is
no, we do not offer further recommendation, and we leave our
observation/comment as-is.”

With best regards,

Marika

===============================

"Charter Question 3: Whether adequate notice exists to alert registrants of
upcoming expirations"
The report states the following:
"There was unanimous support within the Working Group that the lack of a clear
indication in WHOIS that the registrant has not yet renewed, even the
expiration date has been advanced by one year by the Registry’s Auto-renew
Grace Period to the Registrar is major point of confusion. However the Working
Group felt that it was beyond its capabilities to address exactly how this
should be fixed."
RySG comment:
            The RySG representative suggested that a WHOIS indication of
"Auto-renew grace period" was feasible. While this is not as clear as might be
desired, the suggestion was an improvement in consistency across Whois
implementations. Furthermore, it should be noted the complexity in adjusting
WHOIS to address this issue involves (a) coordinating relevant EPP status
adjustments to reflect these additional clarifications, and (b) a lack of
standardization in existing WHOIS standards. This same advice and direction by
the RySG is further referred to later in the PEDNR WG report.