ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-rap-dt] for discussion: the definition of "abuse"

• To: gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-rap-dt] for discussion: the definition of "abuse"
  • Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 13:11:33 -0500

great job Greg,

after reading your comments about predicate, prerequisite and enabler i'm being drawn back to "predicate." looking up "enabler" i find that a lot of the definitions spring from the co-dependency world and aren't anywhere near what we are describing. it doesn't even show up in the spell checker i'm using to write this email. i buy your argument about "prerequisite." so i'm liking "predicate" better and better. using "predicate" would also have us building on the WHOIS taskforce definition.

i also like the addition of the "and" at the end of the first numbered clause.

in sum. i like it as you've set it forth, and would be inclined to stick with "predicate."

m

At 01:04 PM 4/13/2009, you wrote:
Dear team:

Here is the definition we worked on in today?s meeting. Please discuss on the list.

Abuse is an action that:
1. causes actual and substantial harm, or is a [TDB: predicate or enabler or prerequisite] of such harm, and 2. is illegal or illegitimate, or is otherwise considered contrary to the intention and design of a stated legitimate purpose, if such purpose is disclosed.

Notes:
* The party or parties harmed, and the substance or severity of the abuse, should be identified and discussed in relation to a specific proposed abuse. * The term "harm" is not intended to shield a party from fair market competition. * The above definition of abuse is indebted to the definition of "misuse" in the document "Working Definitions for Key Terms that May be Used in Future WHOIS Studies" prepared by the GNSO Drafting Team [18 February 2009, at http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/whois-working-definitions-study-terms-18feb09.pdf].

We were wrestling with the meaning of the term ?predicate.? Webster?s defines predicate as ?a term designating a property or relation.? Here?s the example for WHOIS from the GNSO Drafting Team document:

?Misuse is an action that causes actual harm, is the predicate to such harm, is illegal or illegitimate, or is otherwise considered contrary to intention and design of a stated legitimate purpose, if such purpose is disclosed. When applied to Whois data, such harmful actions may include the generation of spam, the abuse of personal data, intellectual property theft, loss of reputation or identity theft, loss of data, phishing and other cybercrime related exploits, harassment, stalking, or other activity with negative personal or economic consequences. The predicate to harmful action often includes automated email harvesting, domain name registration by proxy/privacy services to aid wrongful activity, and support of false or misleading registrant data. Predicate acts might include the use of Whois data to develop large email lists for commercial purposes.?

So there, ?predicate? indicated related practices, or activities that support the abuse.

A prerequisite is something "required beforehand". (A visa is a prerequisite for travel in many countries.) I don?t think ?prerequisite? is a good word. For example, WHOIS mining is not a required activity for spamming ? one can get e-mail addresses in many different ways. Rather, WHOIS mining is an activity that is a predicate of spamming, or enables spamming, or is used to support spamming.

All best,
--Greg

Greg Aaron
Director, Key Account Management and Domain Security
Afilias
vox: +1.215.706.5700 x104
fax: 1.215.706.5701
gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx
The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy