ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration vs. Use / Scope Issues

  • To: <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration vs. Use / Scope Issues
  • From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <icann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 14:17:24 -0700

UDRP Section 2 requires registrants to represent legitimate use of the
domain name at the time of original registration AND at the time of each
renewal --  "By applying to register a domain name, or by asking us to
maintain or renew a domain name registration, you hereby represent and
warrant to us ...".

I do not know how WIPO came to its 'consensus view' which you have quoted.
There are plenty of WIPO and NAF precedents for the notion that bad faith at
time of renewal = bad faith registration.  That is the better view, given
the registrant's warranties required by Section 2, and pure logic.  Why
(indeed HOW) can one judge bad faith solely at the time of registration?  It
can only be judged once there is evidence of it, which necessarily cannot
occur before the domain is used, i.e. after it is registered.

We are wasting tons of time on this semantic adventure, trying to define
when registration begins and ends, when it is very obvious that it simply
continues until it is terminated.  Abuse during that time is an abusive
registration.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike Rodenbaugh