ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-rap-dt]

RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration vs. Use / Scope Issues -- Roland's question about eligibility criteria

  • To: "'Roland Perry'" <roland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-rap-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-rap-dt] Registration vs. Use / Scope Issues -- Roland's question about eligibility criteria
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 11:36:44 -0400

Would the failure to cancel roland.bank amount to registration abuse?
I think such cases are covered by relevant contracts.  See my post here:
http://forum.icann.org/lists/gnso-rap-dt/msg00179.html

"Registry-registrar-registrant contracts (or a terms of service
referenced in the contracts) may spell out explicitly what is allowed and
not while that contract is in force, and what the consequences of
non-compliance might be.

There are many examples of eligibility criteria.  A few off the top of my
head: To register a .MUSEUM name, one must be a museum as per the registry's
eligibility requirements.  .BIZ registration terms state that .BIZ domain
names are to be "used primarily for bona fide business or commercial
purposes."  .MOBI Web sites must adhere to certain formatting requirements.
Many ccTLDs have "nexus" requirements, requiring registrants to be citizens
or residents in the relevant country.

As a practical matter, non-compliance is sometimes discovered long after the
domain name is created, and it seems that registrants can fall out of
eligibility in some TLDs.  I assume that as long as a registration contract
is in effect, it can be enforced.

Here's something to consider: the difference between "abusive" and
"noncompliant."  Abuse entails some harm to someone, while some noncompliant
registrations might not hurt anyone.  An abuse issue might be common and
shared across TLDs, while an eligibility/compliance issue might be
particular or unique to one specific TLD.

I invite comment from others, especially from the registrars, registry
operators, and legal experts who may have encountered these issues.

All best,
--Greg"