ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stakeholder-charters]

NCSG charter

  • To: gnso-stakeholder-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: NCSG charter
  • From: Gita Bamezai <gitabamezai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 22:04:35 +0530

Sir,
This is to lodge protest against the unilateral decision to make
non-commercial users of internet as second-rate users by giving them
secondary position in making critical decisions about its governance  .
It is rather paradoxical that the internet which  wired the whole world
together seamlessly,  ICANN should be grappling with creating divisions!
we would like to endorse and lend support to such voices which want to
uphold the traditions of common voice against usurption of these rights.

Without any explanation or justification, ICANN discarded the NCSG charter
that had been drafted by civil society in a consensus process and submitted
to ICANN by NCUC in March - and supported by more than 80 noncommercial
organizations and individuals.

 ICANN is attempting to impose precisely the "silo" charter model that would
stranglehold  non-commercial users and render  them  ineffective in policy
development at ICANN.

 ICANN should know that the world is watching and expecting it to live up to
its promises of bottom-up processes, accountability, and democracy.

Our valid and legitimate voices will provide diversity and more depth to
policy decisions at ICANN .

Gita Bamezai

-
Gita Bamezai Ph.D.
Professor and Head
Department of Communication Research
Indian Institute of Mass Communication
JNU Campus, Aruna Asif Ali Road, New Delhi 110067
India
Mobile: 9868629054
Landline: 91-011-26741499