ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-stakeholder-charters]

Recommendation to Re-instate the original NCSG charter proposal developed by the NCUC

  • To: gnso-stakeholder-charters@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Recommendation to Re-instate the original NCSG charter proposal developed by the NCUC
  • From: Fouad Bajwa <fouadbajwa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:06:27 +0500

I am extending my support for the original Non-commercial Stakeholder
Group NCSG Charter and emphasize to ICANN that the charter proposal
was developed through an inclusive, elaborate and transparent process
by the Non-commercial User Constituency NCUC, the stakeholders of
which hold an important voice within the ICANN process. The Charter
has been evolved and approved democratically by over 80 individuals as
well organizations therefore, the charter should not be arbitrarily
revised by a different entity and neither does such an entity have the
moral or legal right to do so. We at the NCUC undertook months of
consultations with a diverse range of stakeholders in the creation of
its draft charter proposed for a Non-commercial Stakeholder Group
(NCSG).  NCUC participated in an extended consensus process that
involved global civil society, ICANN board, staff, members of the
At-Large community, and other non-commercial actors in the creation of
the charter submitted by NCUC in March 2009.

ICANN should respect multistakeholder participation and recognize the
role as well as the importance of the non-commercial stakeholders
within its activities. We the members of the NCUC hold an equal voice
within the ICANN processes and together, we, the 80+ member
individuals and organizations represent a far larger number in those
users who counted on them to draft this charter as well as have our
backing and support.

Turning over the NCSG Charter will hurt ICANN's transparency and
credibility if the procedure and substance are ignored to impose a
different charter. If ICANN does not approve the NCSG Charter, it will
declare to the global community that ICANN is ignoring its key
stakeholders. It will also show that ICANN ignores the non-commercial
stakeholder's voice from the developing world.

As a member of the NCUC and a voice from the developing world, I
emphasize on ICANN that the original NCSG charter must be reinstated
ASAP.

Signed
Fouad Bajwa
Lahore, Pakistan