ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] proposed rewording of Objective 5 - resend

  • To: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>, "Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <Gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] proposed rewording of Objective 5 - resend
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:43:55 -0500

Those are questions for the Working Group to answer. That is how the policy is
formed: by answering those questions. At this stage we will never agree on what
the threshold or criteria are, because everyone will try to define it in a way
that locks you in to their favored policy conclusions. So let the policy debate
take place in the WG, not here.,

Concern about this suggestion is that "unacceptable deviation" is mushy.
Are we intended to say that all deviations are unacceptable or that
deviations up to a certain threshold are OK and, if the latter, what's
the threshold?

> Objective 5: To determine whether the changes to the current
restrictions and/or practices concerning registry-registrar separation
and equal access contained in the options set out in DAGv3 constitute an
unacceptable deviation from current policies regarding
registry-registrar sewparation.

> Rationale: this does not require research or an open-ended assessment
of the entire registry-registrar market, but a simple determination that
the DAGv3 proposals are an unauthorized policy change.