ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

[gnso-vi-feb10] Using the term "Status Quo"

  • To: "gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-vi-feb10@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-vi-feb10] Using the term "Status Quo"
  • From: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 12:00:01 -0700

I know this is a really minor point in the grand scheme of things, but I hope
we can refrain from using the term status quo in proposals or discussions.

It is a confusing term for many since it actually means "the existing state of
affairs"

The status quo for in new TLDs is the Board resolution "there will be strict
separation of entities offering registry services and those acting as
registrars. No co-ownership will be allowed."

If proposals or discussions are trying to discuss what exists in current gTLDs
it is not correct to state that 15% is the status quo either. The ICANN Board
just approved the renewal of the .PRO registry agreement which allows cross
ownership. So the existing state of affairs is not one contract or one number.

I know this has been discussed on the chat during calls and I am not the first
to discuss it, but thought it may be helpful with all the new proposals being
discussed.

Thanks

Jeff Eckhaus