ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Some things that would be helpful ...

  • To: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] Some things that would be helpful ...
  • From: Carlton Samuels <carlton.samuels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2010 11:17:11 -0500

Yes, I agree these are all laudable operational precepts.  But they are
weakened in the context of the existing operational framework; competing
proposals for consideration, all intended to be seen as "first among
equals".

It is nigh impossible to wish away the spirit, if not the reason, they were
advanced in the first place.

Someone remarked in an earlier post that the opportunity we have here is a
green field.  So let's do some green field imagining then.

I believe it is purely PR to enact regulations that are unenforceable or,
the discovery process for violation so onerous as to make enforcement 'hit
and miss', at best.  I also think it is unethical, at best, to promulgate
rules or contractual obligations without the intent to enforce them.

The alternative to my mind is the approach of a positive regulatory
framework. Since we cannot predetermine the method or organisation that
would generate activities harmful to the public interest - business model is
no such predictor - nor enumerate the sundry ways harm could be generated,
we simply say 'here are the outcomes we wish to enable and the [known] harms
we would wish to preclude.  Any behaviour that result in these harms or
tends to undermine these positive outcomes is prohibited.   And the
sanctions are, as follows: ".

Then what is outlined here provides a perfect template for process.

Carlton Samuels

Carlton A Samuels
Mobile: 876-818-1799
Strategy, Planning, Governance, Assessment & Turnaround