ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Stéphane_Van_Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-vi-feb10] Single Registrant TLDs in VIWG Brussels report
  • From: Milton L Mueller <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:35:50 -0400

>IMO, we either need to put a hold on the rollout until
>these issues can be fully considered and the issues
>resolved, or take a conservative approach to get the
>ball rolling and continue working with the goal of
>implementing any changes in future rounds. I prefer
>the latter, but would support either approach.

This is the exactly the argument made 12 years ago. It led to slow introduction
of a few rather hobbled gTLDs. That is why .com has locked itself into a
near-permanent dominant position in the gTLD registry market.
Domain names are sticky, i.e. they have very high switching costs. The longer
incumbents like GoDaddy can delay real competition - the sort that destabilizes
market shares - the  better off it will be because more people will register in
existing domains and remain there forever.

The argument we are making is that certain moderated forms of VI and CO are
required to promote new entry. Telling new entrants who need innovative models
to wait for an indefinite period while whatever market remnants that are not
controlled by current entrants are gobbled up by incumbents is basically
telling them to go away.  Whether this is intentional or not doesn't matter.
the effect is the same.

--MM