ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-vi-feb10]

Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] new version of the proposal matrix

  • To: Jeff Eckhaus <eckhaus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-vi-feb10] new version of the proposal matrix
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 20:32:04 -0400

Jeff E.

Recall I mentioned four or five things in your note that ... I
probably misunderstand.

1. Are these "registrars" real or are they memorex?

If they are real, there is no rational not to disclose their registrar
corporate identity to Mason, or their registry ambition to David. If
they are just sock puppets owned by some registrar(s) that own a lot
of registrars, then I guess no one really needs to know or care what
their aim in corporate life amounts to.

2. You've offered a regional lack of service rational, observing that
the North American registry service providers, and you could just as
well toss in the European ones as well without loss of generality,
don't currently, and therefore may not prospectively, serve other
regions. That is a fine argument. Where your version of it becomes
interesting is the association of specific registrars with the most
needed registry operations in those regions, e.g., an Arabic Script
application or a Han or Hangul application. Hence the question, do
these registrars have a property interest, or some other claim, that
this Working Group should find as the basis to provide those
registrars with protection from competition from other applicants for
the most needed registry operations in those regions?

So what does that right, that protection from competition for some
registrars arise from? What claim do they make which constrains this
Working Group, and ultimately ICANN, to pick them preferentially for
registry agreements?

3. Why is Registry ASP or GMO Internet a better choice than anything
else in the Bangalor-Singapore-Shanghia-Beijing-Seoul-Tokyo IT
sectors? Why are eNom or SnapNames or Dotster better choices than
anything else in the Los Angeles to Vancouver via Silicon Valley IT
chain of bright lights?

Why is this Working Group supposed to protect these registrars from
competition as registry operators? When was the ICANN version of the
Yalta Accord signed, promising South East Asia to Registry ASP and
Japan to GMO?

4. I don't know how you miss the point that to be the subject of any
discussion concerning cross-ownership, and affected by a 15% cap,
these "companies from non-English speaking countries who would like to
start a TLD and would like to use a local Registry" must already be
structured with more than that cap.

So we're talking about entities which were formed with a greater than
15% cross ownership, and we're supposed to transform their corporate
formation choice from a gamble gone wrong to a successful exploit.

Why is this a good thing, and why shouldn't the next lot of rational
economic actors cross the next line into Indian Country and then ask
for some Cavalry to come rescue them from unlawful Indians?

To close, we're offering your investors a 1/7th position in any good
idea. Your response, if I understand it, is that if you can't get all,
your preference is none, because "excluded wholesale from applying for
a new TLD or serving as a back end service provider" is just what 2%
means.

And you were one of the first to say "no" to Alan's question, and you
know what the consequences of no recommendation is.

Regards,
Eric